Chapel Field
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Chapel Field postmill, in 1289, was possibly the earlist mill to be mentioned anywhere in Norwich.


The earliest mention of a windmill within the city is probably that of 1289 regarding a mill owned by the Prior of Buckenham, very likely the mill in the Chapel Field granted to Richard Spynk, a citizen of Norwich, by Prior Hugh a little more than 50 years later.
When Windmills Ground the City's Flour, R.W.M., Eastern Daily Press - 13th April 1970


Richard Spynk
completed the building and fortifying of City Walls and Gates, 1343.
For his Charter, 10 December 1343

Blomefield's History of Norfolk, Vol. III & The Records of the City of Norwich, J. C. Tingey, 1910


1289: Windmill owned by Hugh who was Prior of Buckenham from 1329 until his death in 1354


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref c.TG226084
 
-1343+
All historical material within this page
© Michael Roots & Jonathan Neville
Top of Page
Web design and website © Jonathan Neville, Norfolk Mills 2004