Upton
Palmer's
drainage mill
River Bure



Upton May 1978
Upton May 1978

Palmers mill is a hollow post windpump set beside Upton Dyke and one of 3 remaining in the county.
The structure originally stood on Acle Marshes where it was derelict and in danger of being lost forever. It was therefore moved to Upton where it was restored by local millwright Richard Seago.

At restoration, the main post was set 12 ft high x 11 ins x 10 ins with 4 quarter bars on sunken piers, all the timbers being black tarred. The pump's 21 ft 9 ins sails drove an iron plunger pump with a 10 in diameter, rather than a scoopwheel.

c.1900: Pump erected on Acle Marshes

c.1925: Pump ceased working

Karl Wood painting 1950: Hollow windpump on Acle Marshes

1976: Pump moved to Upton from its original position in Acle

1978-79: Windpump restored by millwright Richard Seago

2018: Stocks in situ but sails missing and are currently being restored


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 40311292
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019