Tunstall
Stracey Arms drainage mill

River Bure


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

1950
1950

Stracey Arms drainage pump was built beside the road that became the A47 trunk road and was designed to drain the marshes into the River Bure. The now slightly leaning 4 storey red brick tower had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat. Power to the internal turbine pump was supplied by four patent sails and the cap was turned to wind by a white & red striped 8 bladed fantail with a Y wheel and a tailpole.
In the mills earlier days it was known as Arnup's Mill.

During World War II the tower was converted to a pillbox complete with gun ports.

July 1985
July 1985

The site was eventually taken over by The Windmills Trust and the mill was restored. The adjacent mill house was set out with a photographic display of depicting the history of Norfolk's drainage pumps.

2014
2014
In 2014 the mill was advertised along with the mill house sale, the mill being owned, insured and maintained by The Windmill Trust. The mill house owners to be paid by the WT to open the mill to the public between Easter and September from 09.00 to 20.00hrs..

O.S. Map 1884
O.S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

1883: Mill built for Robert Barnes of Gt Yarmouth

1912: Mill extensively renovated

1946: Mill ceased working

1961: Restoration began by Smithdales

1965: Lady Stracey presented the mill to Norfolk CC to be cared for by the Norfolk Windmills Trust

October 2014: Mill & mill house advertised for sale for c.£625,000


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 44160896
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2014