Tunstall Dyke
tower drainage mill

River Bure


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


5th July 1988
5th July 1988

Tunstall tower drainage pump was built on the north side of Tunstall Dyke, slightly to the west and on the opposite bank to Tunstall Dyke smock drainage pump. The red brick tower was originally tarred.

Arthur C. Smith recorded many drainage pumps and he visited both Tunstall properties on 5th July 1988.
He noted that the small to medium sized mill was lying derelict. The tower had 4 window apertures and opposite door apertures 70 inches high to the wooded lintel. The tower base had a diameter of 16 feet including the 23 inch walls. The 7 foot pit wheel had a 5 inch shaft powering the 13 foot 4 inch external scoop wheel over an outer hoop with an 8 foot iron centre piece. Most of the wooden paddles were still in situ.
At that time the track to the mill had all but disappeared, the mill cottage was derelict and the whole site was overgrown with willows, elder and other vegetation.

O.S. Map 1884
O.S. Map 1884
Tunstall Dyke tower drainage mill is top centre to the left of the word Tunstall
Courtesy of NLS map images

1988: Mill lying derelict with some machinery still in situ


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 42210924
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2014