Thurne dyke drainage mill
River Thurne


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


10th September 1934
10th September 1934

Thurne dyke drainage mill was built beside the River Thurne at the mouth of Thurne Dyke in 1820 by the millwrights England & Co. of Ludham. The mill was built with common sails to power its scoop wheel and these were uprated to patent sails in 1835.

1949
1949

The mill was lying derelict in 1949 when it was saved from destruction by Bob Morse.

1950
1950

11th May 2008
11th May 2008

11th May 2008
11th May 2008

11th May 2008
11th May 2008

Mill drainage pump 11th May 2008
Mill drainage pump 11th May 2008

2008: Mill open to the public April to September on the 2nd and 4th Sunday of each month 2.00pm to 5.00pm or by appointment. Contact Debra Nicholson tel. 01692 672155.

Open day on National Mills Weekend 11th May 2008
Open day on National Mills Weekend 11th May 2008

Windshaft - 23rd October 2011 Brakewheel - 23rd October 2011
Windshaft - 23rd October 2011
Brakewheel - 23rd October 2011

Download
Movie of mill working

23rd October 2011 23rd October 2011
23rd October 2011

1820: Mill; built by England's of Ludham

1835: Mill's common sails were uprated to patent sails with a fantail

1919: Mill cap blown off in a gale

1926: Steam turbine and shed built and put into operation

1936: Mill ceased working

1949: Mill taken over by Bob Morse and eventually restored with the assistance of the Norfolk Windmills Trust

2008: Mill owned by Debra Nicholson of Morse's Wind Engine Park

14th September 2013: Mill abseiling event organised by Debra Nicholson raised over £2,000 for the mill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG401159
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008