Somerton
West Marsh
drainage mill

River Thurne



1950

Somerton West Marsh drainage mill was built with a medium sized red brick tower. The mill stood alone to the southeast of Martham Broad on the northeast side of the River Thurne across a field from the road. The tower had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat.

15th May 1971 20th May 1986
15th May 1971
20th May 1986

By the time the above photo was taken in 1986. the mill had been converted to residential use and the cap had been reconstructed to accommodate windows facing in four directions. The tower had two water sluice openings that were blocked off in later years. A cast iron spur wheel drove an internal turbine.
The mill is Grade ll listed.

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

O.S. map 1836: Drainage mill

1858: Mill possibly rebuilt

O. S. Map 1884: Draining Pump

1900: Mill rebuilt by Dan England

1950: Mill with cap and sails

1959: Remaining 3 sails removed

1971: Tarred red brick tower with white Norfolk boat shaped cap and gallery

1986: Mill already converted to residential use


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 46422023
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2015