Reedham
Berney Arms
drainage mill
(early)


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Reedham Berney Arms drainage mill in the parish of Reedham on Halvergate Marsh was working by 1797. The 5 storey mill was named after the Berney family and was finally replaced by another towermill in 1865 by what was to become Norfolk's highest drainage mill.


In 1828 the mill although built with the capability of driving 4 pairs of millstones, was using patent sails to drive 7 circular saws and a deal frame. The deal frame was a gang saw used for slitting deals or baulks of pine timber, deal being lumber not exceeding 3 ins thick and 9 ins wide, especially fir.
In 1836, the mill was described as capable of driving 3 pairs of stones for grinding corn, oil or bone.


To be Let For a Term of Years
A Most desirable SITUATION for TRADE at Reedham in the county of Norfolk, consisting of a Kiln, Windmill and Warehouses, with every convenience for the manufactory of Roman Cement.
Also an extensive Brick Ground with an unlimited extent of brick earth and most complete drying sheds, coal and sand houses requisite for making bricks. Also a Public House called the Berney Arms and with or without a quantity of marsh and adjoining.
The above premises are well situated by the side of the river distant 5 miles from Yarmouth by water and near the junction of the three navigable rivers, the Yare, the Waveney and the Bure. The whole of the buildings are so arranged with an extensive quay that the manufactory can be carried on without any land carriage.
Apply to Mr. Woodrow, St. Georges, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 10th February 1821


Roman or Parker's Cement
Manufactured at the Reedham Cement Works near Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.
Cement ...
Bricks ...
Orders to Thomas Kenworthy, Dukes Head Quay, Yarmouth or to Messrs. Squire & Edwards, King Street, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 29th September 1821


REEDHAM CEMENT WORKS
... The Improved Roman or Parker Cement, manufactured by Steam ... Also Bricks ...
Orders to Thos. Kenworthy, Dukes Head, Quay, Yarmouth or Messrs. Squire & Edwards, Dukes Place, Norwich
Norfolk Chronicle - 20th April & 18th May 1822


REEDHAM SAW MILLS & CEMENT WORKS
Foreign Timber, Deals, Battens, Spars, Pantiles, Splines and Coopers' Stuff are cut to order on the shortest notice and on the most reasonable terms at these works, where may be had Herring Barrel Staves and Heading, Brush backs and Boards and any articles in the Sawing line executed in the neatest manner.
etc.
Norfolk Chronicle - 2nd & 16th April 1825


REEDHAM SAW MILLS & CEMENT WORKS
Saw Mills, Brick & Tile Kilns.
To be Let For a Term of Years
A Well Established Concern situate near Great Yarmouth at the junction of the rivers Yare & Waveney, comprising a complete manufactory for Roman Cement worked by a ten-horse Steam Engine. A Powerful patent sail Windmill driving seven circular saws, a deal frame and other machinery, it is also well adapted for the Flour Trade.
A Capital Tile Kiln, a Brick Kiln, Coal Bins, six Cottages for workmen, a comfortable Residence with or without 150 acres of fine Grazing Land may be had with the above.
Apply to Messrs. Woodrow & Newton (Letters to be post paid) Principals only will be dealt with.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th March 1828


REEDHAM SAW MILLS & CEMENT WORKS
Saw Mills, Brick & Tile Kilns.
To be Let For a Term of Years, with Immediate Possession, At Reedham in the county of Norfolk.
A Well Established CONCERN situate at the junction of two Navigable Rivers, near the Port Town of Great Yarmouth, consisting of a Kiln, manufactory, ten-horse steam engine, extensive warehouses, counting room, quay, roomy yard and two good cottages for workmen. Also a very powerful Windmill with patent sails, driving seven circular saws and a deal frame particularly adapted for Sawing for Herring Barrels, in which a very considerable trade is now carried on. The Windmill is capable of being converted to any other Trade requiring great power, as it is built to draw four pair of Stones. Also a capital Tile Kiln with extensive and well arranged tile sheds, two Brick Kilns with spacious grounds adjoining, coal bins and other requisite buildings, four good cottages for workmen; an unlimited supply of fine Brick and Tile Earths upon the premises.
A Comfortable Residence with or without 150 Acres of fine Grazing Land may be hired with the above.
Apply to Messrs. Woodrow & Newton (Letters to be post paid) Principals only will be treated with.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th & 20th September 1828


REEDHAM SAW MILLS & CEMENT WORKS
Near Great Yarmouth.
To be Let and Entered upon Immediately
They consist of a Ten horse Steam Engine and powerful Patent Sail Windmill (capable of driving three pair of Corn Stones). The Engine and Mill are employed in Grinding Cement, Sawing and Draining Marshes for which rent is paid. They are well adapted for Bone, Oil or Corn Mills and being on the confluence of three large rivers running into Norfolk and Suffolk command an extensive trade.
There is also a brick and tile Ground and Kilns to be Let with or without the above.
Apply to Mr. J. Brown, Morton Hall or on Saturdays at the Norwich Corn Market.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th March 1828


The Reedham Cement Works and Saw Mills, near Great Yarmouth. To be Let and entered upon immediately. They consist of a Ten Horse Steam Engine and Powerful Patent Sail Windmill (capable of driving three pair of Corn Stones) they are employed in Grinding Cement and in Sawing and Draining an extensive level of Marshes, for which rent is paid. The Mill and Engine may be hired separately.
The above Situation and Works are well adapted for Bone, Corn or Oil Mills, and being on the confluence of three large rivers running into Norfolk and Suffolk, command an extensive trade.
For particulars apply to Mr. J. Brown, Morton Hall, near Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th March 1828


Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1841
Owner: Thomas Trench Berney
Occupier: Himself

No. 30
No. 32

Brick Yard & Marsh
Factory, Mill & Yard

Pasture
do

2a. 0r. 19p.
1a. 0r. 21p.
363a. 0r. 23p.

* Modus £1. - 3d.

Part of
 

In 1843 T. T. Berney leased the cement works, including the windmill and 3 cottages to John Cutler Ramsden and Charles Stephenson Ramsden at an annual rent of £200, to be paid quarterly. The lease required them to keep the works insured with Norwich Union for £2,500. The tenants were required to give 6 months notice if they wished to quit.
The Ramsdens lived in Hamburgh in Germany.


In March 1847, after Ramsden & Co quit the works, Berney had a Mr Ollett assess the repairs required to be done to the Cement Works. Ollett's estimate for general repairs was £129 - 0 - 9½d. Berney wanted the Ramsdens to pay for these repairs.

Ramsden's solicitor, C. Cory, in April 1847 sent a letter to Berney to say that his clients wished to claim back their £75 deposit which was paid when they took out the lease, and also claimed £100 for 4 years drainage of 160 acres at 2/6d per acre.


THE REEDHAM CEMENT WORKS. Saw and Water Mills Driven by Steam and Wind Power near Great Yarmouth
To be Let and entered upon Immediately
They consist of a 12 horse Steam Engine, a five storey Brick Tower Patent Sail Windmill, able to drive four pair of Stones with Corn Gear complete and now employed by Messrs. Ramsden & Co in the Cement Trade; situate at the mouth of the Norwich River and commanding the Main Rivers of Norfolk and Suffolk, with extensive Quays and depth of water for Seaborne Vessels. The Station on the Railroad from Yarmouth to Norwich and London and the North is within five minutes walk and a tram road can be laid to the same, being on the dead level.
The situations and Works are well calculated for the Bone, Oil, Corn or Malt Trade.
To be Sold
A powerful 6 horse BONE MILL ...
Apply to Mr. Harrison, Ringland, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th, 20th & 27th March 1847


Having been over the cement works to look at the grinding stones to mill and engine I am of opinion they are worth about thirty five pounds.
Those in the mill not being French Burrr are not worth more than Eleven pounds when new.

Stolworthy - 11th July 1857


In June 1857 a draft agreement between T. T. Berney and William Collet Reynolds was prepared for Reynolds to lease the cement works from June 24th at a rent of £50.

A latter document in 1858 gave Reynolds the option of taking the lease for 14 years from 24th June 1858 at a rent of £200 per annum, but Reynolds only took on the lease for a year and in 1859 finished leasing the works.

After Reynolds quit the cement works in 1859 James Nesbitt ran the works on Berney's behalf and Nesbitt and Berney continued to try to find someone to lease the works.


The irons, brasses and Bridging Pot used belonging to the stones removed from the windmill could be replaced for the sum of £4 - 10 - 0d.
Stolworthy - 12nd July 1858


THE REEDHAM CEMENT WORKS
To be Let for a term of years.
Apply for permission to view same to Mr. H. Gilbert, at the Berney Arms Station, and for particulars to T. T. Berney, Esq., Morton Hall, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 28th January 1860


THE REEDHAM CEMENT WORKS driven by steam and wind power near Great Yarmouth.
TO BE LET for a term of years
They consist of a 12-horse steam-engine and a 24-horse brick tower patent sail wind mill late in the occupation of Mr. Reynolds, in the cement trade, situate at the mouths of the Norwich and Beccles rivers with water communication to most parts of Norfolk and Suffolk. The Berney Arms Station on the railway from Yarmouth to Norwich, London and the north is within five minutes walk and a tram road to the same may be laid at small expense. The situation is well calculated for the manufacture of Portland cement, being in the immediate neighbourhood of an inexhaustible supply of the best materials for making the same.
Apply to Mr. Nesbitt, Morton near Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd, 10th & 31st March & 7th April 1860


In November 1864 James Nesbitt wrote a letter to Mr D. de Castro, who had a client, believed to be a Mr Timewell, who was interested in leasing the works. In the letter Nesbitt said the rent would be £300 per annum and included 5 cottages and a Foreman's cottage. In December 1864 a letter was sent back reporting that de Castro's clients ...cannot lease it at the price and they are trying to form a company'.


* MODUS (obsolete) (a modification)
An abbreviation of modus decimandi, a peculiar custom by which land became exempted from payment of tithes on paying some composition or equivalent.
i.e. Before all tithes were commuted in 1836, payment of an agreed sum of money in lieu of one tenth of produce.

Encyclopaedic Dictionary - 1901


White's 1845: James Barnes, millwright

White's 1854: James Barnes, millwright

White's 1864: James Barnes, millwright


Faden's map 1797: Drain W. Mill

February 1821: Mill advertised to be let along with a kiln, warehouses and the Berney Arms pub

1822: Mill working as
Reedham Cement Works

1825: Mill working as a sawmill and cement works

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill sign only
Bryant's map 1826:
Steam Engine

1828: Mill working with patent sails as a sawmill

March 1828: Mill advertised to be let as Reedham Cement Works with Sawmills + Brick & Tile Kilns

September 1828: Mill advertised to be let as Reedham Cement Works with Sawmills + Brick & Tile Kilns

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

June 1836: Mill advertised to be let as Reedham Cement Works & Sawmills with 10hp steam engine + Brick & Tile Kilns

1836: Mill grinding cement and capable of running 3 pairs of stones, running sawmill and draining marshes

White's 1836: Thomas Trench Berney, Esq. brick & Roman cement maker, and saw mill,
Berney Arms
White's 1836: T. T. Berney, Esq.,
Morton Hall (Morton on the Hill)

O.S. map 1837: Sawing Mill

Tithe Award 1841: Owner & occupier: Thomas Trench Berney

1843: Cement works and mill leased to John Cutler Ramsden & Charles Stephenson Ramsden

White's 1845: T. T. Berney, Esq.,
Hall (Morton on the Hill)

1847: Mill grinding cement clinker and capable of driving 4 pairs of stones and corn gear complete

March 1847: Mill advertised to be let as Reedham Cement Works with saw and drainage mill

White's 1854: Thomas Trench Berney, Esq.,
The Hall (Morton on the Hill)

June 1857: William Collet Reynolds leased cement works for one year

1859: Reynolds quit the cement works andin 1859 James Nesbitt ran the works on Berney's behalf

January 1860: Mill advertised to be let as Reedham Cement Works

1863: Thomas Trench Berney, Portland Cement manufacturer

White's 1864: Thomas Trench Berney, Esq., J.P., and George Duckett Berney, Esq., J.P.
Hall
(Morton on the Hill)


1865: Mill replaced by new towermill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG46520496
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008