Norton Marsh
drainage mill
River Yare


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


27th May 1986
27th May 1986

Norton Marsh drainage mill was built in 1863 on the south bank of the River Yare just to the east of the mouth of the River Chet and to the south of Reedham Ferry. The mill stood at the end of short track from the road and stood alone by the river beside a more modern red brick pumphouse. The 4 storey tarred red brick tower stood 30 ft 3 ins high to the top of the brickwork. The overall base diameter was 20 ft 4 ins and the diameter at the top was 12 ft 6 ins with 22½ ins thick walls.


13th May 2007
13th May 2007

After working ceased, the cap, sails and machinery were removed and replaced by a conical iron roof that remained in place until 1988. In 1990, Arthur Smith reported that the roof was conical with a scalloped petticoat. Eventually this was replaced by a new Norfolk boat shaped cap with a modern safety barrier. The scoop wheel was also reconstructed.


2007
2007

1863: Mill built

1986: Mill in process of being converted to residential accommodation

1997: Michael Saunders

April 1997: Mill fitted with new cap by millwright Richard Seago

2007: Holiday let accommodation


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG403011
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007