Ludham
Womack Water
drainage mill

River Thurne



1950
1950

Ludham Womack Water tower drainage mill was a small 3 storey Norfolk red brick mill built beside a drain off the north side of the River Thurne. The tower was about 23 feet high and 15 ft. 10 ins. outside diameter at the base including its 20 inch thick walls. The tower was built with twin opposite doors and a single window.


The wooden upright shaft was 13 inches in diameter and with a cast iron wallower 17¼ inches in diameter at the top. The lower bevel gear drove a 4 ft. 2 ins. diameter cast iron pit wheel from which a 4¼ inch square iron drive shaft drove a 5 ft. 2 ins. iron scoop wheel centre section that was bereft of paddles by 1986. Half way up the upright shaft were the neatly carved letters B. Thrower.


September 1971
September 1971

23rd May 1986 23rd May 1986
23rd May 1986
23rd May 1986

Tower Mill. Derelict. Small red brick tower shell only (no roof) in very poor condition with both door apertures much enlarged vertically, with one window aperture, a floor beam and some machinery. Tower (leaning over slightly) had 3 storeys and is about 23ft. high, and 15ft. 10in. overall dia. at base (including 20in. thick walls). Wooden upright shaft 13in. dia. (B. THROWER neatly carved on it vertically - letters upright - nearly half way up) with iron wallower bevel gear at top and 17¼in. dia. iron pit wheel; iron drive shaft 4¼in. square (with bevelled edges) to 5ft. 2in. iron scoop wheel centre piece (without paddles) outside. Alone on Nature Reserve marsh near river. Private.
Arthur C. Smith - 23rd May 1986


22nd September 2005 Mill interior 22nd September 2005
22nd September 2005
Mill interior 22nd September 2005

O. S. Map 1905
O. S. Map 1905
Courtesy of NLS map images

O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

1950: Mill tower open to the elements with windshaft, centre post and wallower remaining

23rd May 1986: Mill tower open to the elements with centre post and wallower remaining

22nd September 2005: Mill tower open to the elements with centre post and wallower remaining


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 39991750
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008