Ingham
Marsh Mill
drainage mill
Hempstead Marshes



c.1900
Mill working c.1900

Ingham Marsh Mill was also known as Randall's Mill. The red brick tower was built to drain land to south end of Hempstead Marshes. Power was supplied by four double shuttered sails and was turned to wind with a six bladed fantail. The Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat held a tailpole. The mill was built on a dyke by a short track just south of the road known is The Causeway in the 1880s. The Causeway was later renamed Palling Road.

In 1986 Arthur Smith reported that the red brick tower had been reduced to 3 storeys with a conical roof and a finial. A large brick shed and a small modern brick pump house stood behind the tower.


August 1987
August 1987

1990
1990

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

O.S. map 1884: Marsh Mill (Draining Pump)

c.1900: Mill working

1986: Mill tower reduced to 3 storeys with conical roof and finial

1990: Mill tower of 3 storeys with conical roof and finial

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 41022639
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2020