Horning Ferry
smock
drainage pump
River Bure



c.1926
c.1926

Horning Ferry mill was a smock drainage pump built by England's of Ludham c.1880. The original tower was made of tarred weatherboard with a white cap and double shuttered sails. It stands on the bank of the River Bure and has become a well known landmark.

c.1930
c.1930

1938
1938

After the pump ceased working, it was converted into a house that doesn't bear any real resemblance to the original structure. The upper section is flared and almost Dutch-like and sits on a boarded single storey base. The boat shaped cap hold 4 dummy sails and a fantail.

17th May 1977
17th May 1977

O. S. Map 1905
O. S. Map 1905
Windpump upper centre
Courtesy of NLS map images

c.1880: Smock windpump erected

O.S. map 1905: Windpump

1935: Windpump converted into a dwelling by H. P. E. Neave

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 34501669
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019