Halvergate
Six Mile House
drainage mill

River Bure



10th July 1973
10th July 1973

Halvergate Six Mile House drainage mill was also known as Blake's Mill or Perry's Mill. The 4 storey medium sized tower is red brick and tarred. Double shuttered patent sails powered a scoop wheel (with a non standard rachet) via a wooden main drive shaft. The mill stood alone beside the River Bure with a small brick pumphouse that was constructed some time after the mill itself. The mill is Grade ll listed.


In 2011 Alison Yardy reported that the mill condition had deteriorated and although much of the machinery still remained, it had been dismantled, leaving all else vulnerable to further decay.


O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

Jul 1973: Red brick tarred tower with no cap and 4 sails without shutters and all other machinery still in situ

1979: Mill derelict withy sails and fantail gone; stocks and internal machinery still in situ

1987: Red brick tarred tower with no cap and 2 sails without shutters and 1½ stocks and other machinery

2011: Mill condition deteriorated and remaining machinery dismantled


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 46120985
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019