Burgh St Margaret
St Margaret's
drainage mill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1923
c.1923

St Margaret's drainage mill in Burgh St. Margaret (also known as Fleggburgh) was built c.1747 but had ceased pumping operations by 1960. The mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat and an 8 bladed fantail. The scoop wheel beside the mill was powered by four double shuttered sails.


1977
1977

During the 1960s the mill was renovated and converted into a private residence by actor John Glynn Jones. During the 1970s the mill was converted into a restaurant and continued trading until June 2004 when the mill, its range of outbuildings and approx 4½ acres was put on the market. Abotts Country Houses then offered it for sale inviting offers in excess of £425,000.


May 2004
May 2004

c.1747: Mill built

c.1960: Mill ceased working

1960s: Converted into a private residence by actor John Glynn Jones

1970s: Mill converted into a restaurant

June 2004: Restaurant business ceased and advertised for sale by Abotts Country Houses at c.£425,000

2005:
Ha-Ra Daniels, UK, Ltd. bio-degradable cleaning products

September 2005: Bed & Breakfast


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Natb Grid Ref TG418119
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004