Belaugh
Old Hall
drainage mill
River Bure



26th June 1988
26th June 1988

Belaugh drainage pump was built to the southeast of Belaugh Old Hall. The 29ft high, 4 storey tower had a 10ft internal diameter at the base with 18 inch thick walls. The tower is internally offset at the second floor. The sails originally drove a scoop wheel. A conical cap was placed on the top of the tower after the sails had been removed.

After windpumping ceased, the tower was adapted for the installation of a petrol engine that drove a Bodan turbine pump set in a timber boarded shed attached to the tower, via a drive shaft through the tower wall. Large pipes were placed in the scoop wheel sluice and were connected to a primer tank on the first floor of the tower.

26th June 1988
26th June 1988

A small Barnes & Pyle sluice was installed adjacent to the tower, operated by rack & pinion.

O. S. Map 1881
O. S. Map 1881
Courtesy of NLS map images

1983: Mill lying derelict with conical cap

1988: Mill lying derelict with ivy growing up the tower, conical cap with sections missing

1994: Tower visible from the air

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG29301753
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2019