Barton Turf
smock
drainage mill



Basketmaker James Cox-Haylett in front of mill c.1895
Basketmaker James Cox-Haylett in front of mill c.1895

Barton Turf smock drainage mill stood on Mill Dyke. The mill was built with common sails but later updated to patent sails to power a turbine. The mill was also known as the Black Mill.


... was burned down in the early 1900s and replaced by a skeleton mill in 1903, where the wooden framework was supported on four brick pillars. The sails were of the modern adjustable vane type powering a turbine pump which ceased working when this mill was set on fire by holidaymakers prior to WWII. The mill wall itself was breached in the '60s, so there is no control over the water level in the marshes around us.
A Jam Round Barton Turf - John Yaxley


c.1900
c.1900

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

1811: Mill built

O. S. Map 1884:
Draining Pump

c.1902: Mill destroyed in a fire

1903: Smockmill replaced by a skeleton mill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref  TG 36032294
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011