Woodton
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


c.1925
Woodton postmill in the foreground with Bedingham behind c.1925

Woodton postmill stood almost in the centre of the village. The mill buck was set on a roundhouse that had a dormer with a loading door. Entry to the mill was via a ladder leading to a platform with a canopy over. The ladder beams went nearly to the top of the door. The tailpole was cut off beyond the ladder when the 6 bladed fan was set on the bottom of the ladder.


Four double shuttered sails powered one pair of 4 ft 6 ins. and one pair of 4 ft. 4 ins. French burr stone a flour mill and jumper. The outer pair of sails had 8 bays of 3 shutters, the innermost pair also had 8 bays of 3 shutters along with an additional bay of 2 shutters on the innermost side, the driven side being fixed.


In 1845 White's directory lists Robert Leeder snr as a farmer, so it is probable that the mill was situated on his land and was being run by his son Robert Leeder jnr.

Kelly's of 1925 does not list any millers in Woodton so it is likely that the mill was nearing the end of its working life when the photograph was taken.


Woodton post mill was for many years owned by the Everett family, who were also local farmers. They also owned and ran Bedingham smockmill, which was a few hundred yards away just inside the Bedingham parish boundary. At the time of photograph that mill had lost one pair of sails and appears to have ceased working.


WOODTON
Capital Freehold POST WINDMILL
To be SOLD by Auction at the Tuns Inn, Bungay on Thursday March 31, 1842 at 6 o'c by George Baker
All that powerful and well timbered POST WINDMILL , 18½ feet long and 12 feet wide having a brick roundhouse with two floors which will stow 20 score of Corn, driving two pair of French Stones, 4 frt. 6 ins. and 4 ft. 4 ins. diameter, with a Flour Mill and Jumper
complete, standing well winded, has a brick and tiled stable and cartshed attached, is now in full trade and capable of manufacturing from 4 - 5 score per week and now in the occupation of Robert Kemp at an annual rent of £42 under a lease which will expire at Michaelmas 1844.
Woodton is situated within 4½ miles of Bungay and 9 from Norwich.
Apply to Messrs. Margitson & Hartcup, Solrs. or the Auctioneer, Bungay.

Norfolk Chronicle - 19th & 26th March 1842


Notice re Robert Kemp, Woodton, Miller, deceased.
Claims and Debts to J. Hotson, Solr. to Administratrix.
Long Stratton. 27 january 1847

Norfolk Chronicle - 30th January 1847


WOODTON
To be Let for a term. Possession to be taken October 11, 1849 A POST WINDMILL with
half an acre of Land, Stable, Sheds, etc.
A very superior strong MILL with two pairs of stones, a spacious roundhouse, a pair of patent sails with going gears complete, having very recently
been under substantial repair, painting etc. the above are situated at WOODTON
For rent and particulars apply to Mrs. J. Thompson, Woodton.
August 23, 1849
Norfolk Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 25th August 1849


Excellent Post Windmill (at which an old-established Trade is carried on, Situate in Woodton in Norfolk.
About 5 miles from Bungay and 10 from Norwich
To be sold by Auction by Messrs. ELLIOTT & SONS at the Nelson Inn, in Hempnall on Monday April 7 1856 at 4 o'c
A Capital POST WINDMILL with substantial Roundhouse and Chamber over, two pairs of French Stones, Flour Mill and all requisite going Geers; also a substantial Stable and Cart Lodge and a valuable Piece of Land containing (including the sites of Mill and Buildings) about half an Acre, situate near the public road from Hempnall to Bungay and now in the occupation of Mr. ROBERT LAST EVERETT as Tenant from year to year at the rent of £36. Freehold.
Apply to Mr. Richard Everett of Bunwell, Norfolk, Mr. John Hotson, Solr. Long Stratton or the Auctioneers, Diss and Thelton near Scole.

Norfolk Chronicle - 22nd & 29th March & 5th April 1856


VIOLENT HURRICANE (2 February)
... At Woodton Mr. Everitt's mill lost its sails.

Dereham & Fakenham Times - 29th February 1908


O.S. map 1951 - redrawn by Harry Apling
O.S. map 1951 - redrawn by Harry Apling

Roundhouse 29th June 1936
Roundhouse 29th June 1936

This mill at Woodton and one of the Witton postmills are the only two postmills in Norfolk recorded as having been used for residential purposes. Woodton's roundhouse was used after the mill buck had been dismantled.


Base of mill made into a dwelling place several years ago, but has since been demolished.
Letter from L. M. Baldwin, Bradwell to Philip Unwin - 20th May 1973


White's 1864: Arthur Everett, Victualler, King's Head
White's 1864: John Arthur Everett, farmer (owner)
White's 1864: Palmer Leeder, farmer

White's 1890: George Everett, farm steward

Kelly's 1892: George Everrett, steward to Robert Fellows esq


1763-1797: Mill built

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Will of Last Dring 1826: Windmill bequeathed to his son William Dring

O.S. map 1826: Windmill

White's 1836: Robert Leeder jun., corn miller

1842: Robert Kemp, tenant miller at a rent of £42 per annum

March 1842: Mill advertised for sale by auction

29th September1844: Robert Kemp's lease ran out

White's 1845: Robert Leeder jnr., corn miller

August 1849: Mill advertised to be let

1853: Last Everett, miller

Kelly's 1854: Last Everett, miller

White's 1854: Robert Last Everett, corn miller

March 1856: Robert Last Everett, tenant miller at a rent of £36 per annum

March 1856: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1858: Robert Last Everett, miller

1863: Robert Last Everett, miller

1865: Robert Last Everett, miller

1868: Robert Last Everett, miller

1872: Robert Last Everett, miller

1878: Robert Last Everett, miller

Kelly's 1879: Robert Last Everett, shopkeeper & corn miller

Kelly's 1883: Robert Last Everett, shopkeeper & corn miller (wind)

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

1888: Thomas Aldis Everett, miller

White's 1890: Thomas Aldis, miller & shopkeeper; & at Bedingham

Kelly's 1892: Thomas Aldis Everett, shopkeeper & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Thomas Aldis Everett, shopkeeper & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: Thomas Aldis Everett, shopkeeper & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1904: Thomas Aldis Everett, shopkeeper & miller (wind)

2nd February 1908: Mill sails lost in a severe gale

O.S. map 1910: Windmill

Kelly's 1922: Thomas Aldis Everett, miller (wind)

O.S. map 1926: Windmill

23rd June 1935: Only the roundhouse remained

Karl Wood painting 1937: Roundhouse remaining with a broken roof

1971: Roundhouse demolished

1984: Mill site part of residential estate



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM2908 9388
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004