Wood Norton postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Wood Norton post mill was built in 1815 for John Miller and stood on the east side of the road that later became the B1110.


The mill appears to be on the same site as the smockmill and it was likely that mill replaced the postmill.


Land, 18a. 3r. 8p. awarded at Enclosure 1813 as Fuel Allotment to Trustees of the Poor of Wood Norton.
Lease d. 1 January 1816 Trustees to John Miller, late of Foulsham, miller, land with house, windmill, roundhouse, barn and stables erected thereon by him, from 11 October 1815 for 40 years at £14 per annum.
Details provided by Harry Apling - 1971


WOOD NORTON
To Millers and Bakers To be Sold by Private Contract
A Windmill with Roundhouse and a good Granary, Dwelling house, Barn, Stable and about 20 acres of Land in a high state of cultivation and all Free of Poor Rates.
The land is Leasehold of the Parish of Wood Norton in the county of Norfolk, 22 years of which are unexpired at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. John Miller on the Premises; if by letter, post paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 27th July 1833

1815: Mill built for John Miller

Bryant's map 1826:
Windmill

1833: John Miller, miller

July 1833: Mill advertised for sale by private contract



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG01502963
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2009