Winfarthing
smockmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

c.1900
c.1900

Winfarthing smockmill had a ten sided tower with very few windows that was built on a brick base only 18 inches high. The mill had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat and 8 bladed fantail. The four double shuttered sails, each with 8 bays of 3 shutters were struck by rack and pinion and powered 3 pairs of French burr stones. A further 2 pairs of French burr stones were worked in the adjacent steam mill.


c.1925
c.1925

The last miller was Horace William Lincoln, who took over in 1907 and having repaired the mill, worked it until at least 1926.


1928
1928

By June 1929 only one pair of sails had shutters and the mill then worked for a time using an oil engine. Cecil Thompson, millwright of Hardwick dismantled the machinery around 1937 and in September of that year the mill had been reduced to a single storey with a pointed roof.


Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1841 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1842
Map, Henry Calver, Surveyor, 1841
Owner: John William Jarrett
Occupier: do

No. 665
No. 666
No. 734

Further Mill Meadow
House, Mill & Meadow
Mill & Yard

Pasture
do
do

0a. 3r. 0p.
0a. 3r. 15p.
0a. 1r. 14p.
---------------
1a. 3r. 29p.

4s. Tithe

No. 734 relates to Roydon_Shelfanger_Road_postmill although confusingly, that mill was not erected until c.1847. Possibly an earlier mill was present on the site.


Situations Vacant
WANTED, a JOURNEYMAN MILLER, single and of good Character.
Apply to J. Jarrett, Winfarthing Mills.

Norfolk News - 6th December 1862


Situations Vacant
To Millers - Wanted, a Single Young Man with good character to Work a WINDMILL.
Apply B. & F. Burroughes, Winfarthing near Diss.

Norfolk News - 28th September 1867


Situations Vacant
To MILLERS
Wanted, a Single Young Man with good character to Work a WINDMILL.
Apply personally to F. Burroughes, Winfarthing near Diss.

Norfolk News - 25th September 1869


Miscellaneous
To Millers etc.
FOR SALE very Cheap, an excellent MILL STOCK, 50 ft. long, ready for putting up.
Further particulars by applying to Mr. W. Woodrow, Winfarthing Mills.

Norfolk News - 14th May 1870


Situations Vacant
WANTED, a good MILLER. Must be a good Stoneman. Married Man preferred.
Apply to W. Woodrow, Wind and Steam Mills, Winfarthing near Diss.

Norfolk News - 8th February 1873


Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a good general MILLER. MUst be a good Stoneman. Wind and Steam.
Apply W. Woodrow,, Winfarthing Mills, Norfolk.

Norfolk News - 24th October 1874


William Woodrow's Assignment
Notice re William Woodrow of Diss & Winfarthing, Miller and Baker.
Indenture 30 December 1885 assigned Estate and Effects for benefit of Creditors.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th January 1886


WINFARTHING, Norfolk
Valuable Freehold Business Property
Thos. Wm. Gaze will Sell by Auction at the Crown Inn, Diss on Friday 5 February 1886 at 4 for 5 o'c in the Afternoon in One Lot by direction of the Trustees under a Deed of Assignment, a substantial and well built Tower WINDMILL in full trade, driving three Pairs of French Stones; Also a STEAM MILL with Machinery and Fittings driving two Pairs of French Stones, convenient Brick and Tiled Foreman's COTTAGE, Stable, Cart Sheds, Outhouses and Piggeries and two enclosures of Pasture LAND containing about two Acres.
Also a comfortable Brick and Tiled RESIDENCE conveniently situated near the above, fronting the High Road from Wymondham to Diss, ... now in the occupation of Mr. William Woodrow.
With immediate possession.
Particulars of E. E. Garrod, Esq. Solr. Diss and of the Auctioneer, Thornham Parva, Eye and Crown Street, Diss.

Norfolk Chronicle - 16th, 23rd & 30th January 1886


WINFARTHING Norfolk
At "The Mills" about three miles from Diss.
John C. Pike is instructed by the Trustees (of Mr. Wm. Woodrow, Miller & Farmer, under a Deed of Assignment) to Sell by Auction on Thursday 4 March 1886.
... Horses ... strong Miller's Carts, Baker's Cart, light running Dog Cart, Harness, two sets of Scales and Weights, 6 sack barrows, Sacks, Mill Bills etc. ... together with HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE etc.
Sale at 11 o'c
Catalogue of the Auctioneer, The Abbey, Hoxne, Scole.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th February 1886


By 1984 the original cant posts c.15 ft. high had been reboarded in new cedar weatherboard and the structure was being used as a summer house. 18 ins. of the brick base remained.


1828: Mill built

White's 1836: William Jarrett, corn miller

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

Census 1841: Jonathan William Jarrett, miller; William Howes, miller

Tithe Award 1842: Owner & occupier: John William Jarrett

White's 1845: William Jarrett, corn miller

1846: William Jarrett, miller

1850: William Jarrett, miller

Census 1851: Jonathan William Jarrett, miller;
Frederic Burrows, journeyman miller
James Sparks, journeyman miller

1853: William Jarrett, miller

White's 1854: Jonathan William Jarrett, corn miller

1856: William Jarrett, miller

1858: William Jarrett, miller

Census 1861: Jonathan William Jarrett, master miller;
Frederic Burrows, journeyman miller
James Williams, journeyman miller

1862: William Jarrett, miller

1863: William Jarrett, miller

White's 1864: William Jarrett, corn miller

1865: William Jarrett, miller

1867: Barnaby & Frederick Burroughes, millers

1868: Barnaby & Frederick Burroughes, millers

1869: Barnaby & Frederick Burroughes, millers

1870: William Woodrow, miller

Census 1871: Jonathan William Jarrett, miller (retired)

1872: Jonathan William Jarrett died (born 1804)

1872: William Woodrow, miller

1873: William Woodrow, miller - wind & steam

1874: William Woodrow, miller

1875: William Woodrow, miller

1878: William Woodrow, miller

Kelly's 1879: William Woodrow, miller & farmer

White's 1883: William Woodrow, miller & farmer

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

1885: William Woodrow, miller & farmer

30th December 1885: William Woodrow assigned his estate and effects for the benefit of his creditors

January 1886: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1888: George Woodrow, miller

White's 1890: William Woodrow, miller

Kelly's 1892: George Woodrow, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1896: George Woodrow, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1900: George Woodrow, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1904: George Woodrow, miller (wind & steam)

1907: Horace William Lincoln, miller, took over running the mill - also at Roydon Shelfanger Road postmill

1907: Mill in bad repair

Kelly's 1908: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1912: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1916: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1922: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1925: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & oil)

c.1926: Horace William Lincoln left the mill

Eastern Daily Press 17th December 1926: Photo of mill working

Kelly's 1929: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & oil)

20th June 1929: Mill with two pairs of sails but only one with shutters

Kelly's 1933: Horace William Lincoln, miller (wind & oil)

Kelly's 1937: Horace William Lincoln, miller (oil)

c.1937: Cecil Thompson, millwright of Hardwick dismantled the machinery

Karl Wood painting September 1937: Mill with single storey tower with pointed roof and cap lying nearby

O.S. map 1946: Windmill

1984: Mill had been converted to summerhouse



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM1094 8518
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004