Wighton
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Wighton towermill stood in Mill Close to the south of the village and after the new towermill was built to the northeast, the postmill became known as the Old Mill.


Faden's map 1797
Faden's map 1797

By 1737 a windmill stood in the north-west corner of this site. The northern of the two fields which the site now occupies is still called Mill Close, while the southern field is called Balland Close. This mill is shown on Faden's map of Norfolk 1797, but had been demolished by the time of Bryant's map of 1826.
Andrew Lawson, East Anglian Archaeological Unit - Excavations at Whey Curd Farm, Wighton - 1976

... remains of a large Danish Camp ...
The Windmill south of this in Wighton parish stands on the corner of a similar entrenchment much defaced ...

Armstrong's History of Norfolk - North Greenhoe - Warham - 1781

The foundations of the mill were seen by N. Bray of the Norfolk Archaeology Unit in 1957 and were described as an embanked enclosure at Whey Curd Farm.


1737: Windmill working

Index of Wills 1744: Robert Mays, miller

Index of Wills 1772: Thomas Priest, miller

Armstrong 1781: Windmill

1793: Thomas Priest, miller, died

Faden's map 1797: Windmill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF94503879
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2012