Whissonsett
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Whissonsett post mill probably stood on its site for several hundred years and was rebuilt at intervals.


Norfolk
To be SOLD and Entered upon at Michaelmas next
An ancient and well accustomed WIND MILL with all Appurtenances compleat, also a convenient Dwelling with a Barn, Stable and other Outhouses, all in good Repair, and six Acres of Land adjoining, situate in WYSINGSETT in the county of Norfolk.
For further Particulars enquire of John Dearns of Wysingsett aforesaid, who is the Owner and Occupier of the Premises.

Norwich Mercury - 14th & 21st July 1764


To be SOLD or LETT and entered upon at Michaelmas next
At WHISSINGSETT in Norfolk, a Dwelling House with Barn and other Outhouses and six Acres of Land with a right of Commonage upon an extensive Common, with a good accustomed Windmill in good Repair.
For further Particulars enquire of Mr. John Derns, the Owner and Occupier of the same.

Norwich Mercury - 22nd & 29th September 1764


To be SOLD by AUCTION
On Friday 26 September Instant at the Eagle in East Dereham, between the Hours of 3 and 6 in the Afternoon.
A Good accustomed WIND-MILL lately rebuilt, with a Messuage, Barn, Stable and other convenient Outbuildings, all in good Repair, together with six Acres of Arable Land thereto adjoining and a Right of Commonage on a very good Common situated at WHISSINGSETT in Norfolk, within eight Miles of Dereham and four from Fakenham, two very plentiful Corn Markets.
For Particulars enquire of Mr. John Dearns, the Owner, at Dereham or of Mr. Daniel Edward, the present Tenant, who will shew the Premises.

Norwich Mercury - 13th & 20th September 1766


To be SOLD or LETT immediately, a very good WIND-MILL and DWELLING HOUSE with Outhouses and other Conveniences and six Acres of very good ploughed Land lying in the Parish of Whissonsett in Norfolk.
For further Particulars enquire of the Rev. Mr. Bird of Stanfield or Mr. John Brookbank, Elmham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd March 1781


1764: John Dearns, miller, owner & occupier

July 1764: Mill advertised for sale


September 1764: Mill advertised for sale or let

c.1765: Mill rebuilt

1766: John Dearns, owner; Daniel Edward, tenant miller

September 1766: Mill advertised for sale by auction

March 1781: Mill advertised for sale or let



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref. TF9...2...
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011