West Walton
Church End
postmills


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Two postmills were working at West Walton in 1505 and 1506 on the former Lewes Priory Manor.


A Reeve's Account of 1506-6 refers to two windmills - the demesne mill called Swathes in walton and a mill called Caient ? Myll. This manor was the former Lewes Priory manor.
A.J. Davison, Norfolk Archaeological Rescue Group, Union House, Gressenhall - 1984

The O.S. 1/25,0000 map TF41 Wisbech (North) shows:
West Walton Lewes at about TF47851350 and Priory Farm at about TF48401370

The O.S. 1" 1st Edition 1824 Downham Sheet 65 map shows:
Mill Lane leading northeast from the crossroads near Priory Farm


The Manor came into the possession of the Hare family about 1612.



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF4...1...
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2012