Wells
Northfield
smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1900
c.1900

Wells smockmill stood on the south side of Northfield Lane on the east side of the town and was sometimes known as the east Mill. The 5 storey mill had a ten sided tower.on a single storey brick base.that had a 27 ft. internal diameter. The Norfolk boat shaped cap held an 8 bladed fan and a gallery. The two pairs of patent double shuttered sails sails were 38 feet long by 8 ft. 6 ins. wide and each had 9 bays of 3 shutters. The sails powered 3 pairs of 4 ft. 6 ins French burr stones and a 20 inch flour machine. A large baking office was operated on the site.


Capital FLOUR WINDMILL with suitable RESIDENCE and Inclosure of LAND at WELLS NEXT THE SEA, Norfolk, with Possession at Michaelmas next.
To be offered for Sale by Auction by Mr. Ansell at the Crown Inn, Wells on Wednesday 14 September 1842 at 4 o'c
A Capital TOWER WINDMILL, brick to the first floor, containing a basement of 27 feet and four floors, the first 25 ft. and the others in proportion, with patent sails 38 by 8½ ft., running gear complete
, a 20 inch Flour Machine and driving three pairs of 4 ft. 6 ins. French burr Stones capable of manufacturing 50 quarters per week.
Also a very pleasantly situated Dwelling House ...
Also a capital Baking Office fitted with oven and furnace on the most improved principles and of sufficient capacity for baking upwards of 40 stones of bread at a batch, with Cottage adjoining and a Store room extending over the same capable of containing 20 lasts of wheat.

Also a small Barn, a cart lodge and stable for three horses. The Yards, Garden and Land and the sites of the Buildings contain together 1a. 1r. op. (more or less).
The above Property is Copyhold of the Manor of Wells late the Dukes. The Mill and all the Buildings have been erected a few years only and are of the most substantial character and in the best possible state of repair and the Port of Wells which is only 10 miles from Fakenham, one of the best Corn Markets in the County offers every facility for carrying on an extensive export Trade.
The property may be viewed on application to Mr. Plowright on the Premises. Particulars of Messrs. Kent & Watson, Solrs. and of the Auctioneer, Fakenham. Letters to be pre-paid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 20th & 27th August, 3rd & 10th September 1842


At WELLS NEXT THE SEA
To be Let With Immediate Possession
A substantial TOWER WINDMILL in thorough repair with Bake Office, good Dwelling House, Barn and Stables, also 3 acres of Land adjoining.

Apply to Messrs. Kent & Watson, Solrs. Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 5th & 12th & 26th November 1842


To be Let With Immediate Possession
A capital TOWER WINDMILL with Residence, Baking Office, Cottage, Barn, Stables etc. and 3 acres of Land adjoining at WELLS next the SEA.

Apply to Messrs. Kent & Watson, Fakenham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th September & 5th October 1844


Tithe map 1843 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1843 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1845
Map - Edward Boughton, Surveyor, 1843
Owners: Gurney & Co
Occupiers: Thomas Dixon Sandling

No. 247
No. 248

Mill Pightle
Lucern Ground

Arable
Pasture

2a. 0r. 29p.
0a. 1r. 33p.
--------------
2a. 2r. 22p.

£1 2. 6


Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a steady MAN to assist in a Wind Mill, go out with the cart and make himself generally useful.
Apply personally to A. Dewing, East Mill, Wells, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 17th April 1875


Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a steady honest MAN to assist in a Mill, drive the Cart and make himself generally useful.
Apply Dewing & Son, Wells.
Norfolk News - 17th April 1875


To Millers & Bakers
WANTED, a man to assist in the business and make himself generally useful.
Apply stating references and salary required to H. A. Dewing, East and West Mills, Wells.
Lynn Advertiser - 27th January 1883


c.1900
c.1900

Owner of mill: Major H. A. Dewing
In 1886 took on as journeyman miller Horace Edward Hutson, informant's grandfather, aged 19, at 5/- per week, after his apprenticeship with Mrs. Emma Lawrence at Garboldisham_postmill at 2/6d a week with full board and lodging.
A Mr. Andrews had built the Roller Mill near the Railway Station. They went into partnership (?) and closed the smock mill in 1905.
Letter from Herbert E. Hutson, Ickleford to Harry Apling - 10th January 1988


O.S. map 1906 - as redrawn by R. Gerken
O.S. map 1906 - as redrawn by R. Gerken

White's 1836: Robert Brett, millwright, Mill Lane

White's 1845: Robert Brett, millwright, Mill Lane

White's 1854: Robert Brett, millwright, Mill Lane

Kelly's 1896: Dewing & Kersley, millers (steam), Roller flour mills

Kelly's 1900: Dewing & Kersley, millers (steam), Roller flour mills. Telegraphic address, "Sunshine, Wells"

Kelly's 1904: Dewing & Kersley, millers (steam), Roller flour mills. Telegraphic address, "Sunshine, Wells"

Kelly's 1908: Dewing & Kersley, millers (steam), Roller flour mills. Telegraphic address, "Sunshine, Wells"

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

1839: Thomas Sandling Dixon, miller, High Street (and at Black's Lane postmill)

1840: Thomas Sandling Dixon, miller (and at Black's Lane postmill)

1842: ? Plowright, miller

August 1842: Mill advertised for sale by auction

November 1842: Mill advertised to be let

Tithe Award 1843: Windmill

September 1844: Mill advertised to be let

Tithe Award 1845: Owners: Gurney & Co; Occupier: Thomas Sandling Dixon

1846: Daniel Brett, miller

1854: William Browne, miller

White's 1854: A. Dewing, corn miller, East Mill

1858: William Brown, miller

1863: Augustine Dewing, miller

White's 1864: Augustine Dewing, corn miller, East Mill

1868: Augustine Dewing, miller

1872: Augustine Dewing, miller

1875: Dewing & Son, millers

1878: Dewing & Son, millers

Kelly's 1879: Herbert Dewing, miller, New road

White's 1883: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller and merchant, East and West mills, and agent Norwich Union (Fire and Life) Insce. Co. New road and Park road

O.S. map 1886: Windmill

1886: Horace Edward Hutson, journeyman miller arrived at the mill from Garboldisham postmill

1888: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller

White's 1890: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller and merchant, and agent for Norwich Union Fire and Life office, Station mills, New road

1892: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller (wind & steam) & merchant, New road

1896: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller (wind & steam) & merchant, New road

1900: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller (wind) & merchant, New road

1904: Herbert Augustine Dewing, miller (wind) & merchant, New road

1905: Mill ceased working as Herbert Dewing moved to nearby roller mill built in 1904 - Dewing & Kersley

c.1905: Mill demolished


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF91904352
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005