Weasenham postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Weasenham postmill stood to the northwest of Weasenham All Saints to the west of Weasenham St Peter or Lower Weasenham. The open trestle mill had a two storey buck and stood on a mound. Power was supplied by two pairs of common sails.


WEASENHAM ALL SAINTS
p.59 ... Manuscript maps of these two parishes (All Saints & St. Peter) are Maps of c.1590 of each parish at Weasenham Hall.
Fig. 33 derived from Map of Weasenham All Saints parish in the late sixteenth century - shows mill at TF84252202
p.64 III. The parish in the late sixteenth century ...
Two buildings on the map which stand out as being different from the rest are the manor house and a post mill ... The post mill, on the north side of the parish, was a two-storeyed structure standing on a mound. On the front were two pairs of sails and on the opposite side there was a window in the upper floor and a door with a ladder below ...

Peter Wade-Martins, East Anglian Archaeology, Village Sites in Launditch Hundred - 1980

An Inventory of the goods and chattels of Thomas Carr of Weasenham All Saints in the county of Norfolk, Miller deposed by us whose names are hereunder subscribed made the second Day of November in the year of our Lord god one thousand seven hundred and twenty three.
Items of interest include:-
Parler Chamber
In the Dairy Chamber
In the new mill
Inm the quarn house
Tithe Barn


In the Little Barn
In the yards
7
8
9
11
12


13
16
One last of wheat
7 Combs of Rye
The Timber of the old mill
One pair of Quarns
10 Bushels of Barley dressed up
5 Lasts of Wheat & Rye
5 Lasts of Barley
One last of oats
30 Thousand Bricks
12-00-0
2-06-0
5-00-0
0-10-0
1-00-0
50-00-0
40-00-0
10-00-0
18-00-0
 
Norwich Archdeaconry Inventories - 1724-1725
The above record shows that the mill was rebuilt in 1724-1725

Tithe map 1839 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1839 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1839
Owner: Francis Jeckell
Occupier: do

No. 27
No. 30

Mill & Yard
House, Garden etc.

Pasture
do

0a. 2r. 35p.
0a. 1r. 22p.
--------------
1a. 0r. 17p.

4s. 3d.


Carr family tree
Carr family tree

LOCAL BANKRUPTS (From London Gazette)
Fri. June 6 J. Ewer, All Saints, Norfolk, Miller.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th June 1868

Ordered that the mill house late in the occupation of John Ewer be assessed to the poor and other parochial rates at the sum of £20. If the mill is taken down the sum would be reduced by £10. 5/-
Vestry Meeting - 22nd March 1869

O. S. Map 1884
O. S. Map 1884
Courtesy of NLS map images

White's 1845: John Carr, brewer, Post-office - Weasenham St. Peter

White's 1864: James Ewer, smith - Weasenham St. Peter


Parish map 1590: post mill

1723: Thomas Carr, miller

1724-1725: MIll rebuilt

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826:
Windmill

Cary's map 1832: Windmill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Thomas Carr, miller & baker

10th November 1836: Thomas Carr died aged 56 and buried in churchyard

Tithe Award 1839: Owner & occupier: Francis Jeckell, miller

Census 1841: Francis Jeckel (35) baker (at mill)
Charlotte Jeckel (35)
William Egglen (15) male servant
Sarah Egglen (10) female servant

White's 1845: Francis Jeckell, miller and baker

1846: Francis Jeckell, miller & baker

10th September 1848: Francis Jeckell died aged 43 and buried in churchyard

1853: John Ewer, miller & baker

White's 1854: John Ewer, corn miller & baker

1858: John Ewer, miller & baker

Census 1861: John Ewer (50) miller & baker
Maria Ewer (44)
James Ewer (19)
Robert Ewer (17) draper
Henry Ewer (12) schollar
Berrie Ewer (10)
Tannie Ewer (8)
John Raven (22) servant baker
Elizabeth Frost (16) general servant

1863: John Ewer, miller & baker

White's 1864: John Ewer, miller and baker

1865: John Ewer, miller & baker

June 1868: John Ewer declared bankrupt

c.1869: John Ewer left the mill

c.1869: Mill dismantled

O.S. map 1884: Mill Cottages



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF84252202
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2012