Watton
postmill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Watton postmill stood on the west side of the village at the end of the road to St. Stephen's Gate at Norwich that was designated a turnpike in 1770. In 1797 the mill was mapped as standing on Watton Common that was later to become Mill Common. By 1844 a bake office was being operated on the premises.

The mill buck was set over a roundhouse. The mill was built with common sails that were set with 10 yards of cloth. By 1839 one pair of the common sails had either been converted to patent sails or all four common sails had been replaced by a single pair of patent sails.and these were powering two pairs of French burr stones - one pair being 4' 8" and the other pair 4' 4" - along with a flour mill and jumper.

Watton in an Earlier Age
W. E. A. Watton Branch 1975
from chapters by J. C. Barringer

Page 7
The mediaeval commons and greens had been reduced by encroachment before 1700. Two examples of this process are shown on the map of Mill Common: the windmill had been built on one encroachment and the other ...

It seems however that Mill Common was also known as Watton Common and that common rights relating to the Manor of Watton lay there. The name Mill Field was applied in eighteenth century documents to the area between Wayland Wood and the Griston Road as it then existed. This suggests that an earlier windmill stood somewhere in that area and that it was then replaced in the latter part of the eighteenth century by the mill on what then became known as Mill Common. (Enclosure Award Map 1803 shows Fields 112 and 118 of the Tithe Award Map of 1839 to be in the name of John Hastings)

Page 37
The first meeting of the Guardians of Wayland Union took place at the Angel Inn, Larling, on Monday 21st September 1835 at noon. Mr. Smith Hastings and Mr. William Russell represented Watton on the Board. Sir Thomas Beevor, Bart. was elected to the chair and Mr. John Mann of Shropham (see MILL FARM Mill) Vice Chairman.

Page 45
An interesting record has survived for 1712 ... This is the rental of the Manor of Watton Hall ... Edward Dunn paid three shillings "for ye mill late Wm. Hills" ...
... returns submitted for paying the land Tax. Returns for 1779 and 1789 have been examined ... In 1779 we find that Francis Green had his house and mill ...

Norwich April 7.
Last week the Royal Assent was given ... as also to that for amending and widening the road from St. Stephen's gate to the Windmill at Watton.
Norwich Mercury - 7th August 1770


Norwich to Watton Turnpike Act 1770
Norwich to Watton Turnpike Act 1770

Turnpike Road Norwich to Watton
Notice is hereby given that the sum of £500 will be taken up at Interest at Four per cent. upon the Credit of the Tolls arising from the several Turnpikes or Gates erected on the Road from St. Stephens Gates in the City of Norwich to the Windmill in the Town of Watton in the county of Norfolk ...
Any person willing to advance the above sum ...

By Order of the Trustees
Capel Bringloe, Clerk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th April 1771

Turnpike Road Norwich to Watton
Notice is hereby given that the sum of £800 will be taken up at Interest at Four per cent. upon the Credit of the Tolls arising from the several Turnpikes or Gates erected on the Road from St. Stephens Gates in the City of Norwich to the Windmill in the Town of Watton in the county of Norfolk ...
Any person willing to advance the above sum ...

By Order of the Trustees
Capel Bringloe, Clerk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th November 1771

Turnpike Road Norwich to Watton
Notice is hereby given that the sum of £350 will be taken up at Interest at Four per cent. upon the Credit of the Tolls arising from the several Turnpikes or Gates erected on the Road from St. Stephens Gates in the City of Norwich to the Windmill in the Town of Watton in the county of Norfolk ...
Any person willing to advance the above sum ...

By Order of the Trustees
Capel Bringloe, Clerk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th August 1774

TURNPIKE ROAD. NORWICH TO WATTON
Notice to Trustees under "An Act for amending and widening the Road from St. Stephens Gate in the County of the City of Norwich to the Windmill in the Town of Watton in the county of Norfolk..."
Tolls arising from the Gate in the said Road called and known by the Name of the Hingham Gate will be LETT by AUCTION to the Highest Bidder and will be put up at the Sum of Sixty Pounds.

Capel Bringloe,
Clerk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 26th October 1776

TURNPIKE ROAD from Norwich to Watton.
April 30, 1778
Notice is hereby given that there not being a sufficient number of Trustees present at a Meeting appointed to be held this Day at the Guildhall in the City of Norwich for carrying into Execution an Act of Parliament made and passed in the tenth Year of his present Majesty's Reign entitled "An Act for amending and widening the Road from Saint Stephen's Gate in the County of the City of Norwich, to the Windmill in the Town of Watton in the County of Norfolk" ...
Trustees to meet ... Thursday, 11th Day of June ...
CAPEL BRINGLOE
Clerk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 6th June 1778

To Millers
Wanted Immediately
A JOURNEYMAN MILLER to attend to a Windmill. Such a one that is a good hand and can produce an unexceptional character from his last place may have constant employment by applying to Mr. Thomas Fowell, Miller at Watton.
Norfolk Chronicle - 5th, 12th & 19th September 1795


Enclosure Award map 1803
Enclosure Award map 1803
as redrawn by J. C. Barringer

WANTED
AN APPRENTICE, a Youth not under 16 years of age, to a Miller.
Enquire of Mr. Smith Hastings, Watton
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th October 1828


To Millers
One of the best Situations in the county of Norfolk
WATTON MILL To be SOLD by PRIVATE CONTRACT
A Substantially well built POST WINDMILL drawing 10 yards of cloth and driving two pair of French Stones 4 ft. 8 ins. and 4 ft. 4 ins. with capacious brick Roundhouse capable of holding 10 score corn. She is very complete in all her Going Gears with Flour Mill, Jumper etc. etc. and now exercising a full trade; a comfortable Dwelling house and other Outbuildings with a Pightle of rich Arable Land adjoining.
The above is in the occupation of Mr. Smith Hastings, the Proprietor (retiring from business) to whom personal application (only) may be made.
N.B. Part of the Purchase Money may remain upon the Premises.
Norfolk Chronicle - 17th March 1832


To Millers. To be SOLD or LET for a term of years with possession at Michaelmas next.
A Capital POST WINDMILL situate in the parish of Watton, Norfolk, with substantial Brick Roundhouse, driving two Patent Sails, two pair of French Stones, Flour Mill and Jumper etc. complete. Also a Granary, Cart lodge, Gig house and Piggeries, with a neat Dwelling house and Cottage adjoining and Orchard and Garden containing one acre of Land. The above Property commands a superior situation for purchasing of wheat and is now enjoying a FULL TRADE.
Apply to Mr. Smith Hastings, Watton.
Norfolk Chronicle - 7th September 1839


Tithe map 1839
Tithe map 1839 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1842
Map 1839
Owner: Smith Hastings
Occupiers:

No. 109a

House etc.

Pasture
part

1a. 1r. 33p.
1a. 3r. 9p.

Vicar 3/10d
Hicks 3/9d

Also owned by Smith Hastings:-
No. 109
No. 112
No. 118
Barn etc.
Pasture
Arable
Arable
part
3r 4p.
5a. 2r. 1p.
4a. 2r. 0p.
29a. 1r. 19p.

WATTON MILL
To be SOLD or LET With Immediate Possession
A very desirable situation for a Miller and Baker consisting of a capital WINDMILL driving two pair French Stones, pair of Patent Sails, Brick Round house and Going Gears complete, Dwelling House, Bake Office, Outbuildings, Stables, Yards, Garden and Pightle of Land situate in the market town of Watton in Norfolk.
The above is now doing a good trade and might be considerably extended.
Apply to Mr. Smith Hastings, Watton.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th November 1843


WATTON
To be Let With Immediate Possession
An old established and capital POST WINDMILL and BAKING OFFICE complete in full trade, neat Dwelling House, Garden and every requisite building with or without 6 acres of Land.
Apply to Mr. J. E. Hastings, Watton, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 19th October 1844


WATTON
Desirable for Investment or Occupation
To be Sold by Robert Baley at the Crown Inn, Watton on Tuesday 17 December 1844 at 5 o'c
All that capital POST WINDMILL with large recently well built Roundhouse, patent sails, two pair of French stones, going gear, furniture, tackle and other requisites to the same belonging.
Also a neat and respectable Dwelling House, Cottage and Baking Office, Stable, gig houses, piggeries, carpenter's shop and every requisite outbuilding together with garden, orchard and one and a half acres more or less of excellent Arable Land adjoining situated in the parish of Watton in the County of Norfolk.
The Mill is the only one in the parish and a well known and extensive and highly respectable trade has been carried on for a long period of years past by the proprietor and others; the land has an extensive frontage towards and adjoining the high road to Brandon and is exceedingly adapted for building upon and must greatly improve in value from its near approach to the line of the proposed Railway and thereby making an easy transit for Flour to the Metropolis and distant markets. Two thirds of the purchase money may remain on Mortgage at a moderate rate of interest if required. The above is Copyhold, fine certain of the Manor of Watton.
Apply to Mr. Smith Hastings, the proprietor, the Auctioneer, Watton or to Mr. W. B. Rackham, Solr. East Dereham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 7th & 14th December 1844


Index of Wills 1681: Robert Galland, miller

1712: William Hills (the late), miller

1712: Edward Dunn, miller, paid 3 shillings for ye mill late Wm. Hills

1770: Act to amend and widen the Norwich to Watton turnpike ending at the mill

1779: Francis Green, miller

1795: Thomas Fowell, miller

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Enclosure Award map 1803: Windmill

1822: Smith Hastings, miller, flour dealer & Fire Office agent

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1828: Smith Hastings, miller

1830: Smith Hastings, miller


1832: Smith Hastings, miller

March 1832: Mill advertised for sale by private contract due to the retirement of Smith Hastings

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

1839: Smith Hastings, owner

September 1839: Mill advertised for sale or let

1839: Samuel Kiddell, miller & brewer

1840: Samuel Kiddell, miller & brewer

1843: Smith Hastings, owner

November 1843: Mill advertised for sale or let

1843: Smith Hastings, owner

October 1844: Mill advertised to be let

December 1844: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1845: Miles Newman, miller & baker


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF90640077
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2010