Tivetshall
postmill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Tivetshall postmill was standing in Mill Road, Tivetshall St Mary in 1674 according to John Ogilvy's book Britannia. Mill Cottage survived the demise of the mill which probably took place c.1850 after local farmer Fred Gibson moved his milling business to the newly built towermill around a mile away at Mill Road, Tivetshall St Margaret and it is probable that he was responsible for building the new mill using the machinery from the old postmill. Mill Road in Tivetshall St Mary was later renamed Tinker's Lane.


N. THROWER
Signatory to Notice re Increase in charges for Grist Grinding.
Norfolk Chronicle - 24th November 1792


Richard Thrower made a will on 26th December 1793 leaving the mill and his other mill at Pulham St Mary Magdalen to his wife Lucy Thrower. ... that included the and also ..... windmill belonging  and situate etc. ... in Tivetshall St. Mary in the County of Norfolk, as the same were then in the occupation of Noah Thrower.


Ordnance Survey Map 1888
Ordnance Survey Map 1888
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

Tivetshall postmill site 2007
Tivetshall postmill site 2007
Image produced under licence from Ordnance Survey

The Enclosure Act of 1828 allotted John Thrower several small parcels of land around his property


Ogilvy's Britannia map Ipswich to Norwich to Cromer 1675: Mill

Index of Wills 1769: Edward Thrower, miller

1792: Noah Thrower, miller

1796: Richard Thrower, mill owner and running Pulham St Mary Magdalen mill. Noah Thrower, occupier

Faden's map 1797: WIndmill

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

Enclosure 1828: John Thrower (grandson of Edward Thrower)

Index of Wills 1839: Noah Thrower, miller

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: John Thrower, corn miller

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

1839: John Thrower, miller

22nd December 1840: Lucy Thrower died

1845: Frederick Gibson, local farmer took over the mill

White's 1845: Frederick Gibson, corn miller

c.1850: Mill probably ceased production and machinery used in the construction of the new towermill

c.1850: Frederick Gibson moved milling activities to Tivetshall St. Margaret towermill



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM17628571
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005