Tittleshall
postmill
(early)


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills



Tittleshall had a mill working in the 1100s. Harry Apling commented that it may have been a windmill or a watermill in the north of the parish.


TITTLESHALL
In (deed) No. 111 in 1175-6 Geoffrey Capra gives and confirms to the nuns in free alms his rent from the mill of Tittleshall ...

The Norfolk Properties of the Nunnery of St. Mary Clerkenwell and the Capra Family - W. O. Hassell - Norfolk Archaeology - 1945


The site of the mill of Tittleshall is still remembered locally. A windmill there was used as a landmark in the time of Elizabeth.
Holkham Manuscript


There is an O. D. spot height of 244 ft. south east of the church at TF89722099, which is in the region of the windmill shown - as a landmark - on Ogilby's map of 1675.
Harry Apling - c.1980


1175-76: Mill owned by Geoffrey Capra

Ogilby's Britannia map London to Wells 1675: Windmill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF89722099 approx
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011