Thetford
Mundford Road
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Thetford Mundford Road postmill stood on the northwest side of the town. The mill used 4 patent sails to power 2 pairs of French burr stones and a jumper. The stones were set head and tail i.e. one pair at the front of the mill buck and the other pair at the back.
The brakewheel was 9ft in diameter and the fantail was 7 ft. 6 ins. in diameter.


Tithe map 1843
Tithe map 1843 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1844 THETFORD ST. PETER
Map, Pratt & Son, Norwich, 1843
Owner: Rt. Hon. Alexander, Lord Ashburton
Occupier: Henry Oldman

No. 127

Mill & Land

Arable

2a. 3r. 24p.

16s. 9d.


To Millers, Millwrights and others
THETFORD, Norfolk
To be Sold by Auction by
J. & S. OLDMAN
On Tuesday May 4, 1858 in a field near the Railway Station, the property of the Hon. F. Baring
The materials and machinery of a large Oak-post WINDMILL just taken down, comprising an excellent oak-post, cross-trees and spurs, crown-tree with cast-iron head and plate, powerful wind shaft with cast-iron pole end, 2 new backs, a quantity of vanes from 4 patent sails, striking rod and tackle, 2 pairs of French Stones, good quality, 2 sets of regulators to ditto, a 9 feet brake wheel fitted up with segments and nuts, jumper, a large quantity of oak beams and studs.
The above offers an excellent opportunity to persons requiring oak for antique purposes, as the whole has been fitted up a number of years and most of it is in a good state.
Catalogues will be sent post free on application to the Auctioneers, King St., Thetford.
Sale to commence at Two o'c precisely.

Norfolk News - 1st may 1858

Death of Mr. Stephen Oldman, of Thetford, last month removes one of Norfolk's oldest millers. Mr. Oldman who was 85, commenced business life as a baker in the town, but he launched into milling over 40 years since, building a mill, which has since been carried on by him and his sons as partners.
The Miller - 4th February 1901
N.B. The mill Stephen Oldman built was a steam mill

Ogilby's Britannia map King's Lynn to Harwich 1675: Windmill

1790: ? Oldman, miller & baker

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Poll Book 1802: William Oldman, miller

1822: William Oldman, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1830: William Oldman, miller

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

O.S. map 1836: Windmill

1836: William Oldman, corn miller, Oldman's lane

1839: William Oldman, miller

1840: William Oldman, miller

Tithe Award 1844: Owner: Rt. Hon. Alexander, Lord Ashburton; Occupier: Henry Oldman

1845: William Oldman, corn miller, Oldman's lane

Index of Wills 1846: William Oldman snr., miller

1850: Stephen Oldman, miller

1854: Stephen Oldman, miller

Index of Wills 1857: George Chaplin, miller

April 1858: Mill dismantled on behalf of owner, the Hon. F. Baring

May 1858: Dismantled mill parts advertised for sale by auction

January 1901: Stephen Oldman died aged 85



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL86658405
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011