Terrington St Clement
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


c.1890
c.1890

Terrington St Clement postmill stood on the Lynn Road and was built as an open trestle mill with approx 5 foot piers. The mill was powered by one pair of single shutered patent sails with 9 bays of 3 shutters and one pair of common sails that powered a single set of stones. The sails, unusually, travelled in a clockwise direction, clearing the ground by about 2 feet and the mill was turned to wind with a tailpole.


Later a single storey roundhouse was added, probably at the same time as a second set of single shuttered patent sails, each sail having 8 bays of 3 shutters. The mill buck was extended to accommodate the windshaft and a fan was set on the tailpole.


Tithe Award 1841
Map 1841
Owner: Thomas Allen
Occupier: William Flatt

No. 992
No. 993

Balsam Field, Pasture & Mill
Balsam Field Arable

.
.
parts of
Tithe Vicar
Appr.

2a. 2r. 35p.
4a. 0r. 39p.
97a. 2r. 19p. £6. 15. 2
£25. 7. 1

£1. 3s. 7d. (Vicar)
£1. 3s. 11d. (Appr.)

N.B. Many fields at Terrington St. Clement were named Balsam Field so this mill has no connection with Balsam Field towermill near the Railway Station.

To be Let For a Term of Years to be agreed on between the parties and entered upon at Michaelmas next if required.
A POST WINDMILL in good repair, with a comfortable Cottage adjoining and seven acres of Land near the Cottage on which the mill stands.
Apply to Mr. W. Sarginson, Terrington near Lynn.

Norfolk Chronicle - 20th & 27th August 1814


To be Let and Entered upon Immediately.
A Capital WINDMILL in good repair and seven acres of Land with a new built Cottage thereon, adjoining the Mill, situate in Terrington St. Clement in the county of Norfolk, near the road leading to Lynn, now in the occupation of William Sargison.
Apply to the said William Sargison or Mr. Braithwate, Attorney, Lynn.

Norfolk Chronicle - 8th October 1814


Insolvent Debtor Wm. Bishop of Terrington St. Clement, Farmer
List of Creditors:-
... Mr. Sargisson, Terrington St. Clement, Miller.

Norfolk Chronicle - 25th March 1815


Wanted immediately, a Single Young Man as MILLER and CARTER to live in the house.
For further particulars apply to Mr. R. Flatt, Miller, Terrington St. Clement, near Lynn, Norfolk.

Lynn Advertiser - 17th October 1868


To Millers
Wanted immediately, a SINGLE MAN to live in the house, to assist in the mill and drive a cart.
Apply to Mr. Robert Flatt, Terrington.

Lynn Advertiser - 1st October 1870


To Millers
Wanted immediately, a SINGLE MAN to live in the house, to assist in the mill and drive a cart.
Apply to Mr. Robert Flatt, Terrington.

Lynn Advertiser - 1st October 1870


Lynn Road Mill, Terrington
Robert Flatt, jun.
Begs most respectfully to inform the farmers and inhabitants generally of Terrington and the neighbourhood, that he has taken the above mill and hopes by prompt attention and honourable dealings to merit the support so liberally bestowed upon his forefathers for the last 60 years.
N.B. The business till October 11th will be conducted on his behalf by Mr. W. G. Flatt.

Lynn Advertiser - 1st October 1870


During the recent gale three of the sails on the mill of Mr. Flatt were blown off and Mr. Flatt narrowly escaped serious injury from the falling materials.
Lynn Advertiser - 6th November 1880


WANTED, a Miller (single man) to take charge of a Bag Mill and to make himself generally useful.
Apply personally to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 29th October & 26th November 1887


Single man wanted as Miller to take charge of a Grist Mill and make himself generally useful.
Apply personally to J. Overton, Miller, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 13th October 1888


To Millers. Single man wanted to take charge of a grist mill and to make himself generally useful.
Apply personally to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 19th January & 14th September 1889


WANTED, a steady single man as Miller to take charge of a grist mill and to make himself generally useful.
Apply to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 6th & 13th September 1890


WANTED, steady man as Miller & Baker. Good references required.
Apply to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 29th August & 5th September 1891


Miller. A Steady man wanted, married or single.
Apply to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement, Kings Lynn.

Lynn Advertiser - 3rd & 10th October 1891


Utting's Marshland map 1826
Utting's Marshland map 1826 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

MILLER & BAKER - Wanted a steady man; must be able to manage either. Good reference.
Apply to J. Overton, Terrington St. Clement.

Lynn Advertiser - 30th April 1892


To be Sold by Private Contract
A 7 h.p. Portable Engine by Fowler & McCollin, with 4 ft. extra driving pulley. To be seen upon the premises of Mr. John Overton, Miller, Terrington St. Clement.
Apply to Miles & Son,
Lynn Advertiser - 27th November & 4th December 1896


TO MILLWRIGHTS & OTHERS
To be Sold by Tender
The Materials of a Wind Mill as now standing in a field at Terrington Saint Clement occupied by Mr. John Overton.
The whole of the site to be cleared and materials removed by the purchaser within one month from the acceptance of tender.
Tenders to be sent by post on or before 17th December next to

Mr. CHARLES T. IVES,
Market Place, Kings Lynn
24 November 1897
Lynn Advertiser - 26th November 1897

Thursday next
TERRINGTON ST. CLEMENT
Important Notice To Millers, Builders, Bricklayers, Farmers etc.
Messrs. Cruso & Wilkin
Are instructed by Mr. J. W. Slator to Sell on Thursday next the 24th inst. at 2 o'c the MILL AND CONTENTS lately in the occupation of Mr. Overton on the Lynn Road, Terrington, comprising 1 pair of 4 ft. 4 in. French stones with irons, segment and pinion equal to new, a valuable lot of oak and Memel timber, fencing wood, bricks etc.
The Auctioneers beg to call particular attention to this sale, there being a lot of most useful stuff.

Lynn Advertiser - 18th March 1898


White's 1854: John Kiddle, foreman miller (unknown mill)

White's 1883: Robert Flatt saddler & assistant overseer

Kelly's 1900: John Overton, farmer

Kelly's 1892: Robert Flatt, assistant overseer for Terrington St. Clement & Tilney St. Lawrence & collector of taxes, & hon. sec. to the Conservative club

Kelly's 1896: Robert Flatt, assistant overseer & clerk of the Parish Councils for Terrington St. Clement & Tilney St. Lawrence & collector of taxes

Kelly's 1900:
Robert Flatt, assistant overseer & clerk of the Parish Councils for Terrington St. Clement & Tilney St. Lawrence & collector of taxes

Kelly's 1904:
Robert Flatt, assistant overseer & clerk of the Parish Councils for Terrington St. Clement & Tilney St. Lawrence & collector of taxes

Kelly's 1908:
Robert Flatt, assistant overseer & clerk of the Parish Councils for Terrington St. Clement & Tilney St. Lawrence & collector of taxes

1814: William Sargison (Sarginson, Sargisson) miller

August 1814: Mill advertised to be let

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Wells Bedford Level map 1829: Windmill

White's 1836: William Flatt, corn miller

Tithe Award 1841: Owner: Thomas Allen; Occupier: William Flatt

White's 1854: William Flatt, corn miller

1858: William Flatt, miller

1863: Robert Flatt, miller

1864: Robert Flatt, corn miller

1868: Robert Flatt, miller

1870: Robert Flatt, miller


1872: Robert Flatt, miller

August 1874: W. G. Flatt conducting the business until Robert Flatt jun. took over

October 1874: Robert Flatt jun. took over the mill

Kelly's 1879: Robert Flatt jun., miller, farmer, saddler & harness maker

November 1880: 3 sails blown off the mill in a gale

1887: John Overton, miller

1888: John Overton, miller

O.S. map 1889: Windmill

1889: John Overton, miller

White's 1890: John Overton, miller, Lynn Road


1891: John Overton, miller


Kelly's 1892: John Overton, miller (wind) & baker

Kelly's 1896: John Overton, miller (wind) & baker

November 1896: 7 h.p. Fowler & McCollin portable engine advertised for sale by auction

November 1897: Mill advertised for sale by tender, to be dismantled and removed

March 1898: Mill & contents advertised for sale by auction

c.1900: Mill demolished

1972: Mill House still standing but field where mill was, ploughed



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF55822013
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2011