South Walsham
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


South Walsham towermill, stood in Flowerdew Lane South Walsham St. Lawrence to the southeast of South Walsham St. Lawrence Mill_Hill_postmill and was known as King's mill in its early years. The mill used 4 patent sails to power 2 pairs of French burr stones and was turned to wind with a fantail.


The mill used 4 patent sails to power 2 pairs of French burr stones and was turned to wind with a fantail. The windshaft and curb were both of cast iron and provision for external auxiliary steam power was provided via a pulley and lay shaft.


Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Flowerdew Lane towermill to the southeast and Mill Hill postmill to the northwest

Tithe Award 1842
Map, J. P. Luckraft & Co. 1838
Owner: Robert Flowerday
Occupier: do

No. 176

House, Windmill etc.

Pasture

0a. 1r. 20p.

2s.


TO BE LET immediately, a BRICK TOWER WINDMILL driving two pairs of Stones.
Apply to R. R. Fowler, South Walsham.

Norfolk News - 27th June 1868


SOUTH WALSHAM, Norfolk
Freehold Tower Windmill and Eight roomed Cottage and Land
Mr. Geo. Newman has received instructions to Sell by Auction at the Norfolk Hotel, Norwich on Saturday June 19, 1869 at 4 o'c The FREEHOLD BRICK-BUILT TOWER WINDMILL with Shafting Gear for auxiliary Steam Power and sundry Plant and Utensils; together with the Eight roomed COTTAGE RESIDENCE, Stabling and good Garden, later in the occupation of Mr. Fowler, now in possession and offering a first class opportunity for investment or occupation.

May be viewed and particulars had on the premises; at the Ship, South Walsham; White Horse, Cromer; Black Boys, Aylsham, New Inn, Crown and Norfolk Hotels, Norwich; and of T. W. Burr, Esq., Solicitor, 26 Great Winchester Street, London, E. C.
Norfolk News - 29th May, 12th & 19th June 1869


SOUTH WALSHAM, Norfolk
For Sale by Private Contract
The Entire Machinery and all the Materials (excepting Bricks) of the Tower Windmill late in the occupation of James Chapman, comprising four Patent Sails, Iron Windshaft and Bearings, Top Cap and Runners, Iron Curbing, Self Winding Gear, Upright Shaft and Bearings, two pairs of French Stones, lay shaft and a 5 ft. Driving Pulley etc. etc.
Particulars of Mr. George Holmes, Engineer, Castle Hill, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 26th January 1878


Kelly's 1879: Press Brothers, corn, coal, seed, cake, manure merchants & millers; & at Upton
Kelly's 1879: Spencer Rix, merchant; & miller at Upton

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: King's Mill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Robert Flowarday, corn miller

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

Tithe Award 1842: Owner & occupier: Robert Flowerday

White's 1845: Robert Flowarday, corn miller

1850: Robert Flowerday, miller

1868: Richard Read Fowler - and at Mill Hill postmill

1868: John Chapman, miller

June 1868: Mill advertised to be let

May 1869: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1872: John Chapman, miller

1878: John Chapman, miller

January 1878: Mill machinery and materials advertised for sale by private contract

1878: Mill dismantled and demolished

Kelly's 1879: Press Brothers, corn, coal, seed, cake, manure merchants & millers; & at Upton
Kelly's 1879: Spencer Rix, merchant; & miller at Upton

1973: Property being used by G. McDowell Gould as an Organic Nursery


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG38281250
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2012