Runhall
towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1900
c.1900

Runhall towermill was a four storey mill that had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat that held a left handed 6 bladed fan. One sail had double shutters with 7 bays of 3 shutters and the other 3 sails had single shutters, all driving the 3 pairs of stones. By 1862 a bake office was being run on the premises.


Tithe map 1846
Tithe map 1846 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1846
Map, Mann & Son, Surveyors, Norwich
Owner: Jeremiah Smith
Occupier: do

No. 34
No. 35

House & Garden
Mill & Yards

Pasture
do

0a. 0r. 38p.
0a. 0r. 36p.
--------------
0a. 1r. 34p.




2s.


RUNHALL, Norfolk
To Let
An excellent TOWER WINDMILL driving three pairs of stones, with Bake office, Dwelling House, Garden and all convenient and necessary Outbuildings. Possession immediate.
For rent and particulars apply to Mr. C. C. Atkins, Land Agent, Coston, Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 8th February 1862


THE BANKRUPTCY ACT, 1861
JAMES DARBY of Runhall in the County of Norfolk, Miller, having been adjudged Bankrupt in the County Court of Norfolk holden at Wymondham on 30th day of March 1867 ...
to surrender himself to Mr. James Feltham, a Registrar of the County Court of Norfolk holden at Wymondham at the first meeting of Creditors to be held on the 2nd day of May 1867 at Twelve o'clock at noon precisely ...

James Feltham, Registrar.
Norfolk News - 6th April 1867

Local Bankrupts (From London Gazette)
Tuesday April 9
James Darby, Runhall, miller.
Norfolk Chronicle - 13th April 1867


Bankrupts
James Darby, Runhall, miller. May 2nd.
Norfolk News - 13th April 1867


RUNHALL
To be Sold by Auction by Messrs. Standley & Sons by Order of the Mortgagee at the Black Horse, Runhall on Monday June 24, 1867 at 4 for 5 o'c
Lot 3. A Dwelling house, cart lodge, Stables and Bake office with convenient Outbuildings adjoining
Also a Brick TOWER WINDMILL driving three pairs of Stones, next the Public Highway and lately occupied by Mr. Dawby.
Apportioned Annual Land Tax 10s.
Immediate Possession.
Apply to Fred Fox, Solr. Surrey Court, Norwich or the Auctioneers, Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th & 22nd June 1867


c.1908 mill and chapel
c.1908 mill and chapel

To LET at Lady, a BRICK TOWERVWINDMILL, with House, Bake Office, Cart Shed, Stable and Garden adjoining.
Apply to Mr. William Breese, Runhall, Norfolk..
Norfolk News - 7th March 1868


WINDMILL & PREMISES
TO BE SOLD or LET With Immediate Possession
A NEWLY ERECTED TOWER WINDMILL with 4 Patent Sails, driving two Pairs of French Stones, Machinery in excellent order and fitted with the latest improvements: - comfortable Dwelling house containing seven rooms, Bake Office, Stable, Cart Lodge, Piggeries, with large and productive Garden.
Also four Cottages adjacent. All Freehold
Situated aout One Mile from Hardingham Station on the Great Eastern Railway.
Apply to W. F.Francis, Auctioneer & Land Agent, London Road, East Dereham.
Norfolk News - 30th March 1872


FOR SALE. FOUR COTTAGES, Freehold, situate in Redenhall, (Runhall 21st August) Norfolk; also a Flour bfick WINDMILL. a MILL HOUSE and BAKE OFFICE. Good Stables etc.
Apply to Mr. William Breese, Redenhall,
(Runhall 21st August) Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 7th & 21st August 1875


RUNHALL, Norfolk
Messrs. Standley & Sons are instructed (by order of the Mortgagee) to Sell by Auction at the White Horse at Garvestone on Monday 27 August 1877 at 3 for 4 o'c
The following very desirable Freehold ESTATE situate at Runhall, Norfolk, in One Lot, comprising a capital DWELLING HOUSE with Bake Office, Cart lodge, Stables and convenient Outbuildings and Well of good Water; also a Brick TOWER WINDMILL driving three pairs of Stones, with a Piece of LAND adjoining, containing about Half an Acre, next the public road leading from Welborne to Hingham, in the occupation of Mr. John Ward.
Apportioned Annual Land tax 10s.
Possession of the above Estate can be had at Michaelmas next.
Particulars of Mr. Fred Fox, Solr. Surrey Street, Norwich and of Messrs. Standley & Sons, Wymondham, Norfolk.
Norfolk Chronicle - 18th & 25th August 1877


April 1935
April 1935

White's 1836: Jeremiah Smith, miller & carpenter

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

White's 1845: Jeremiah Smith, miller, baker & carpenter

Tithe Award 1846: Owner & occupier Jeremiah Smith

White's 1854: Jeremiah Smith, corn miller

1858: Jeremiah Smith, miller

February 1862: Mill advertised to be let

1863: John Canham miller

White's 1864: John & Lacey Canham, corn millers

1865: James Darby, miller

1867: James Darby, miller, bankrupt

June 1867: Mill advertised for sale by auction

March 1868: Mill advertised to be let

1868: William Breese, miller machine owner & farmer

c.1870: Mill probably rebuilt and / or refurbished

March 1872: Mill advertised to be sold or let an described as newly erected

1875: William Breese, miller

August 1875: Mill advertised for sale

1875: George Muskett, miller

1877: John Ward, miller

August 1877: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1878: John Ward, miller

Kelly's 1879: Federick George Brasnett, miller & baker

White's 1883: Federick Brasnett, miller & baker

O.S. map 1885: Windmill

White's 1890: Federick George Brasnett, miller, corn merchant & baker

Kelly's 1892: Federick George Brasnett, miller (steam & wind) & baker

Kelly's 1896: Federick George Brasnett, miller (steam & wind) & baker

Kelly's 1900: Federick George Brasnett, miller (steam & wind) & baker

Kelly's 1904: Federick George Brasnett, miller (steam & wind), baker & grocer

Kelly's 1908: Miss Church, Mill house

Kelly's 1912: Cecil Henry New, Mill house

Kelly's 1916: Cecil Henry New, Mill house

Kelly's 1922: Cecil Henry New, Mill house

Kelly's 1925: Cecil Henry New, Mill house

1926: Mill derelict

Kelly's 1929: Cecil Henry New, Mill house

1935: Mill derelict

Karl Wood painting 1937: Mill tower an empty shell without cap or sails

Kelly's 1937: Claude Leonard Western Banham, Mill house

O.S. map 1946: Windmill

O.S. map 1955: Windmill

29th October 1959: Mill demolished

January 1972: Reginald Cormac-Walshe


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG05360761
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2009