Pulham St. Mary
smockmill

Contact

Drainage Mills (Windpumps)
Steam Mills
Watermills

c.1900
c.1900

Pulham St Mary the Virgin had three windmills working in the 1800s - a northern_postmill, a western_postmill and a southern smockmill that stood to the east of Mill Lane. In the 1800s the southern mill ran two pairs of stones and a flour mill but by the late 1800s, possibly after patent sails had been fitted, three pairs of French burr stones and two oat crushers were in use. Nearby was the larger village of Pulham Market that was also known as Pulham St Mary Magdalene in the 1800s.


Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Southern smockmill just below the crossroads
Northern postmill marked to north of crossroads
Western postmill site marked in red

Tithe Award 1838
Map, W. S. Millard, 1838
Owner: Thomas Smith
Occupier: Mrs. Sarah Stanton

No. 412

Mill, Premises. Yards.

 

0a. 0r. 36p.

Pt. of £1. 2. 0


c.1892
Smockmill to the north of Pulham St Mary Station in the foreground - c.1892

John Caley Is favoured with instructions from several Proprietors to Sell by Auction at the Crown Inn, Pulham on Monday June 30, 1862 at 5 o'c In Eleven Lots.
At Pulham St. Mary the Virgin.
Lot 5. A compact WINDMILL driving two pairs of Stones and going gear complete and a capital Dwelling house formerly in three tenements with detached Offices, Workshop, Piggery, Stable, Cart shed, and Granary and an Inclosure of first class PASTURE LAND. This property is well situated near the Street at Pulham St. Mary the Virgin and is in the occupation of Mr. Charles Hood. The Mill is in full trade and from its position will always command a large share of profitable business.
Apply to the Auctioneers or Messrs. Hazard, Solrs. Harleston.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 21st June 1862


Situations Vacant
TO JOURNEYMEN MILLERS
WANTED, A Single Man to take charge of a Windmill.

Apply G. Hood, Pulham, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 25th November 1871


SALE, three New FRENCH BURR MILL-STONES, one 4 ft. 4 in. and one pair 4 ft. 6 in.
Apply Charles Hood, Miller, Pulham Mary, Harleston.

Norfolk News - 19th October 1872


Miscellaneous
FOR SALE Two Pairs of new French BURR STONES, one pair 4 ft. and the other 4 ft. 4 in.
Apply Charles Hood, Miller, Pulham Mary, Harleston.
Norfolk News - 5th December 1874


c.1903
c.1903

Accident. - On Tuesday a serious accident befell a young man named Youell, in the employ of Mr. G. Hood, miller. Youell was standing on the cart near the mill , which was in motion, when one of the sails caught him the head, causing scalp wound, from which blood flowed very freely He was conveyed to Dr. Paulley's, who promptly attended to the unfortunate man's injuries. The patient is progressing favourably.
Diss Express - 10th November 1893


PULHAM ST. MARY

Another well-known land-mark is rapidly being removed. The four-storey tower mill, known for many years as "Hood's Mill," is now being pulled down to make way for improvements. The old mill, which has withstood the storms of at least a couple of centuries, will be greatly missed as a landmark. The mill premises are also being demolished, and when cleared away a row of cottages will be erected. This is the second windmill in the parish that has been demolished during the past few years. The parish appears noted for its windmills for it can boast, according to old records, of having mills during the past nine hundred years.
Norfolk News - Saturday 11th June 1910

O. S. Map 1883
O. S. Map 1883
Northern postmill top left; Southern smockmill lower centre left
Courtesy of NLS map images

O. S. Map 1904
O. S. Map 1904
Southern smockmill upper centre left
Courtesy of NLS map images

White's 1836: John Stanton, Free-school master

White's 1888: Robert Adcock, farmer, miller & owner - undesignated mill

White's 1890: Samuel Alexander, sexton

Kelly's 1892: Samuel Alexander, parish clerk

Kelly's 1896: Samuel Alexander, parish clerk

Kelly's 1900: Samuel Alexander, deputy parish clerk

Kelly's 1904: Edward David Alexander, carpenter & wheelwright


Faden's map 1797: Windmill

O.S. map 1837: Windmill

Tithe Award 1838: Thomas Smith, owner; Mrs. Sarah Stanton, occupier

1846: Robert Stammers, miller

1850: Joseph Stammers, miller

1853: Joseph Stammers, miller

White's 1854: James Stanton, corn miller

1858: Charles Hood, miller

1862: Charles Hood, tenant miller

June 1862: Mill advertised for sale by auction

White's 1864: Charles Hood, miller

1872: Charles Hood, miller

1874: Charles Hood, miller

1878: Charles Hood, miller

Kelly's 1879: Charles Hood, miller

1879: George Hood, miller

1883: George Hood, miller

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

White's 1888: George Hood, miller & merchant

White's 1890: George Hood, miller & merchant

Kelly's 1892: George Hood, miller (wind & steam) & coal & corn merchant

1893: George Hood, miller

Kelly's 1896: George Hood, miller (wind & steam)

Kelly's 1900: George Hood, miller (wind & steam)

O.S. map 1904: Windmill

Kelly's 1904: George Hood, miller (wind & steam)


1908: George Woodrow, miller

1910: Mill and premises taken down to make way for the building of a row of cottages


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 07836 675369 or

Nat Grid Ref TM20748531
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008