Old Buckenham
Dam Brigg
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Old Buckenham Dam Brigg postmill stood to the southeast of New Buckenham just inside the Old Buckenham side of the boundary, with the Mill House on the Banham side.


Whereas Matthew Mickleburgh, late of the Parish of Old Buckenham in the county of Norfolk, Miller, did assign over his effects to the Rev. John France, Clerk & Samuel Moss, Draper ... for the equal benefit of his Creditors ... a dividend of five shillings in the pound to be paid ...
Norfolk Chronicle - 9th February 1793

Very much injured in gale 24 November 1836
Suffolk Chronicle - 26th November 1836

Tithe map 1842
Tithe map 1842 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1843
Map, J. Easton, Attleburgh, 1842
Owner: Sharman Young
Occupier: Charles Steggles

No. 342 Danbridge Mill, Yards etc
Pasture
1a. 2r. 36p. 19/3d

Tithe map 1846
Tithe map 1846 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1846
Map, C.S. Alger, Diss, 1846
Owner: Sharman Youngs
Occupier: Charles Steggall

No. 75 Part of House & Garden
0a. 0r. 15p. 3d
The map shows Dam Brigg postmill just over the boundary into old Buckenham. However, part of the house and garden are just inside the Banham boundary.

On the right of Dambrigg stood another Post Mill, latterly the property of Mr.Smith but he also ground with a small steam mill in later years. The old mill seems to have been pulled down between 1910 and the first Great War.
Some Notes on Old Buckenham - Edited by H.E. Read 1944 - 1946

Unallocated millers from old Buckenham:
Poll Book 1802: John Barton
1811, 1821, 1830, White's 1836: John Lock
1811: Robert Brown

1811: Shadrack Lane
1821: Isaac Arms (1)
1821: Isaac Arms (2)


1793: Matthew Mickleburgh, miller

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

1821: Thomas Youngs, miller

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

1830: Edward Dodd, miller

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill


24th November 1836: Mill badly damaged in a gale

1839: John Steggles, miller

Tithe Award 1843: Owner: Sharman Young; Occupier: Charles Steggles, miller

Tithe Award 1846: Owner: Sharman Youngs; Occupier: Charles Steggall, miller

White's 1854: Charles Steggles, corn miller

1858: Charles Steggles, miller

White's 1864: Charles Steggles, corn miller

1868: Charles Steggles, miller

1872: Walter Linstead, miller & farmer

Kelly's 1879: Walter Linstead, miller

White's 1883: Walter Linstead, miller & farmer

Kelly's 1892: Walter Linstead, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Henry Young, miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: George Young, miller (wind)

c.1912: Mill demolished

1971: Robert Howard, Dam Brigg Mill House



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM08259015
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2006