Mundford
towermill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

c.1936
c.1936

Mundford tower windmill was a four storey mill with a sunken ground floor that stood to the southwest of the village. The stones were driven by four double shuttered patent sails, each with 7 bays of 3 shutters. The horizontally boarded ogee cap with its petticoat, was atopped by a ball finial. A bake office was also run from the premises.


Situations Vacant
TO MILLERS
Wanted, a Single MAN to work a Windmill and assist in the Bake Office occasionally.
Address, Mr. H. Lingley, Miller and Baker, Mundford, Brandon, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 6th February 1875


TO MILLERS
Wanted, a Single Man as MILLER to work a Windmill. One that has some knowledge of the Bakinbg Trade, to assist occasionally.
Address, H. Lingley, Miller and Baker, Mundford, Brandon, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 31st July 1875


27th June 1936
27th June 1936

WANTED, a Man as BAKER; some knowledge of a wind-mill preferred.
Married or single.
Address, H. Lingley, Miller and Baker, Mundford, Norfolk.
Lyunn Advertiser - 29th September 1883


WANTED, a young man as Baker and serve customers with horse and cart.
Reference required.
Address, H. Singley, Miller and Baker, Mundford, Norfolk.
Norfolk News - 10th November 1883


To Millers
WANTED, a single man to work a wind-mill and serve customers with horse and cart. References required; live in house.
H. Lingley, Mundford.
Lynn Advertiser- 1st & 15th February 1890


To Millers
Wanted, a man to work a grist mill, serve customers with horse and cart. References required.
Address, H. Lingley, Mundford, R. S. O.
Lynn Advertiser- 4th January 1896


O. S. Map 1882

O. S. Map 1882
Courtesy of NLS map images


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

... Mundford ... There is a small towermill outside the village, out of use but fairly complete, with a sort of basement floor, the lowest windows being at ground level ...
In Search of English Windmills, Hopkins & Freese - 1931


1846: Timothy Eyre, miller & baker

White's 1854: Emma Eyre, corn miller & baker

White's 1864: Emma Eyre, miller & baker

1872: Emma Eyre, miller & baker

1875: Henry Lingley, miller & baker

Kelly's
1879: Henry Lingley, baker & miller

White's 1883: Henry Lingley, corn miller, baker & farmer


White's 1890: Henry Lingley, farmer & corn miller

O.S. map 1892: Windmill


Kelly's 1892: Henry Lingley, miller (wind) & farmer

Kelly's 1896: Henry Lingley, miller (wind) & farmer

1926: Mill derelict

1931: Mill still
fairly complete but cap and finial with no fan

Karl Wood painting 1933: Mill with capped tower and four sails with no shutters

1936: Mill with capped tower and four sails with no shutters

1939-45: Tower used as observation post by the Observer Corps during the war

1949: Shell of tower remaining

Eastern Daily Press 6th April 1970: Photo showing conifer growing out of the top of the tower

Lynn News & Advertiser 28th May 1971: Photo of mill with water tower alongside

1970-71: Tower demolished


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL 9909353
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008