Mundford
smockmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Mundford smock windmill stood to the southeast side of the village on the east of the Thetford road and ran a single pair of 4ft. French burr stones.


Tithe map 1842 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1842 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1844
Map, Lenny & Croft, Surveyors, Bury St. Edmunds, 1842
Owner: Sir Richard Sutton, Bart
Occupier: James Debenham

No. 149

Mill Close

Arable
Part of

13a. 0r. 30p.
465a. 0r. 1p.

14. 2
£18. -. 7


To Millers, Millwrights and others
MUNDFORD, Norfolk
J. & S. Oldman
Are honored with instructions from S. L. Stephens, Esq. to Sell by Auction at the Crown Inn, Mundford on Friday, April 1st, 1859 All that Timber-Framed Tower WINDMILL with Sails and Backs (nearly new), pair of 4 ft. French Stones and all Machinery. The whole to be taken down and removed at the purchaser's expense, within on month from the day of Sale.
Sale to commenmce at 5 o'c in the afternoon.
Norfolk News - 26th March 1859


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

1830: Richard Burton, miller & baker

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Richard Button, miller & baker

Tithe Award 1844:
Owner: Sir Richard Sutton, Bart; Occupier: James Debenham

March 1859: Mill advertised for sale by auction to be removed


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL80659314
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008