Methwold Hythe
postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills


Methwold Hythe post windmill stood to the east of the village on the north side of the Hythe Road. The mill had a roundhouse and used a pair of patent sails to power 2 pairs of 4ft. French burr stones. A bakehouse was also run from the site.

Eligible Investment
A POST WINDMILL with two Patent Sails, a Dwelling house, 12 Freehold Cottages and about 2 acres of Fine Arable Land to be Sold a Bargain.
Apply to Edward Banham, Auctioneer and Estate Agent, Methwold.
Norfolk News - 7th & 14th December 1861


METHWOLD
14 Cottages, Post Windmill and 2a. 1r. 0p. of Land
To be Sold by Auction by Edward Banham
At the George Inn, Methwold, by order of the mortgagee
On Monday July 16, 1877 at 4 o'c in the afternoon precisely, the following improvable PROPERTY, which will be first offered in 1 Lot and if no acceptable offer is made for it as a whole, it will be offered in 2 Lots as now staked out, viz:-
Lot 1. All those Twelve stone and tiled Cottages ...
Lot 2. All that Post Windmill with roundhouse having 2 patent sails, 2 pairs of 4 ft.mill stones, iron shaft and the usual spur gear and 2 stone and tiled Cottages, Sheds and an excellent piece of garden ground containing about 1 acre (more or less).
Further particulars of E. S. Copeman Esq. Solr. Downham Market or of the Auctioneer, Methwold.
Lynn Advertiser - 7th July 1877


To Millwrights and others
METHWOLD HITHE MILL
EDWARD BANHAM & SON
Will Sell by Auction on Monday April 19, 1886 all
TH
E MATERIALS
Patent Sails, French Stones, and Timber arising from the taking down of the above mill.
Full particulars next week and will be sent by post.
Lynn Advertiser - 10th & 17th April 1886
(No further particulars given on 17th April)


Herbert John Everett, Mil House, Hythe Road:-
Mill in far corner of kitchen garden by road.
Built before 1710, date of earliest deed held.
Bakehouse to rear of house, ovens there till about 1940.
Bronze bearing from site of mill found 1970.
Harry Apling - 13th September 1971


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Unallocated miller in Methwold

Kelly's 1916: William Philip Harrod, farmer, Mill Farm


Earliest Deed 1710: Mill working

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: John Thompson, corn miller & baker

White's 1845: John Thompson, corn miller & baker

1846: John & Thomas Thompson, millers & bakers

1853: John Thompson, miller

White's 1854: John Thompson & Co millers


De
cember 1861: Mill advertised for sale

White's 1864: J. & W. Thompson, millers & bakers

1872: John Thompson, miller

1875: John & William Thompson, bakers & millers

July 1877: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Kelly's 1879: John & William Thompson, bakers & millers

White's 1883: John & William Thompson, corn millers & bakers


1886: Mill dismantled and roundhouse demolished

April 1886: Mill machinery & materials advertised for sale by auction

O.S. map 1892: Windmill (Corn)

c.1940: Bakehouse ovens removed

1971: Herbert John Everett, Mill House


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL71859474
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2008