Mattishall
Mill Road
postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Mattishall tower windmill stood on the northwest side of the village and was originally built in Mill Street. In later years after the mill had been dismantled, the road name was changed to Mill Road, possibly at the same time as the nearby Town Lane was renamed Mill Street. The mill ran two pairs of French burr stones and a flour mill.


To be SOLD by AUCTION
By J. CHRISTMAS

On Friday September 21, 1787 between the Hours of Two and Five in the Afternoon, at the Eagle in East Dereham.
A Compleat WINDMILL with a Pair of excellent French Stones and Flour Mill, now in full Trade, standing in Mattishall near the Turnpike Road from Norwich to Dereham.
Dereham is the best Corn Market in the County.
For further Particulars enquire of Michael Dexter in Mattishall, who will shew the Premises.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th September 1787

Michael Dexter was the son of Robert Dexter, miller at Garveston_postmill. Michael Dexter was baptised in September 1754, St Margaret's Church, Garveston and later married Dorothy Bell Springall on 18th October 1779, at All Saints Church, East Tuddenham.


Dorothy Bell (Springall) Dexter, wife of Michael Dexter, was buried at All Saints Church, East Tuddenham, on 21st January 1827.  She was 76 years of age.  Michael Dexter was also buried at All Saints Church, East Tuddenham on 16th April 1830.  He was also 76 years of age.  Oddly both Dorothy and Michael are described in the burial records as being ‘of Lynn'.  I wonder whether this means King's Lynn, and whether they might have retired there but requested that their bodies be buried in the village where they spent a greater part of their lives.  Their eldest son, also named Robert, spent most of his adult life in London but was buried ‘back home' in East Tuddenham, being described in the record as ‘of Paddington'
Nova Jones - 6th September 2010

To be Sold
A POST WINDMILL in Mattishall in Norfolk, in which is a Flour Mill, two pair of French stones with good going gears and about one acre and two roods of land.
Also about two acres of land at Mattishall Bergh adjoining Mrs. Hardy's plantation.
Mattishall is only 4 miles from Dereham, 12 from Norwich, 8 from Wymondham and 12 from Watton.
Apply to Messrs. SEWELL & BLAKE, Solrs. Norwich or to Mr. Overton, Mattishall who will shew the premises.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th February, 6th & 13th March 1813

Christmas Tofts, farming Steward of Little Walsingham made a will on 16th December 1834, leaving to his wife Mary Tofts and sons James & William Tofts  all that windmill and messuages, lands, tenements,  situate and lying and being in Mattishall  etc.   Daughter Charlotte Tofts is also mentioned in the wlll, which was proved on 30th November 1835. Christmas Tofts may well have been known as John Tofts.

Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1838 - as redrawn by Harry Apling (mill not shown)

Tithe Award 1838
Owner: Mary Tofts
Occupier: Christmas Fulcher

No. 1851

House, mill, yards & garden

1a. 1r. 22p.

2/6d to Vicar
4/9 to Improprietors


Auction by Mr. Wilde, Kings Head, East Dereham, 28 September 1855 at 3 o'c.
Lot 7. TOWER WINDMILL, and Outbuildings, Mattishall.
All that Freehold Messuage with the stables, outbuildings, garden and piece of land together with the Windmill, in the occupation of John Sendell, containing with site of buildings 1a. 1r. 22p.
Apportioned Land Tax 1/-.
Norfolk Chronicle - 15th September 1855
N.B. Tower Windmill shown in error for post windmill

Mattishall Rate Book
.
Rateable
Value
Year
Qtr.
Occupier
Owner
Property
1815
Reg Bap
James Tofts James Tofts . .
1826
Matshl Surv
John Tofts John Tofts    
1836
July
James Toffts James Toffts
H&M
£6
1836
Nov
Richard Egmore Mrs Mary Toffts
HML
£6
1837
Oct
(Widow) Egmore - Highways Rate
HML
£6
1838
Sept
Christmas Fulcher Mrs Mary Toffts
HML
£6
1839
May
Christmas Fulcher Mrs Mary Toffts
HML
£14/10/-
1840
May
Empty Mrs Mary Toffts
HML
£14/10/-
1840
Aug
William Neve Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1841
Nov
Richard Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1842
Jan
Archibald Brasnett Richard Sendall
M&L
£13/8/-
1843
Oct
John Brasnett Richard Sendall
M&L
£13/8/-
1844
Jan
Archibald Brasnett Richard Sendall
M&L
£13/8/-
1844
Oct
Richard Sendall Richard Sendall
M&L
£13/8/-
1845
Jan
Richard Sendall Richard Sendall
HPML
£19/8/-
1845
Apl
Edward Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1845
July
Richard Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1845
Oct
Edward Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1847
Oct
Levi Reynolds Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1850
Oct
William Neve Richard Sendall
M&L
£12
1851
Jan
Richard Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1852
Oct
William Neve Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1854
June
John Sendall Richard Sendall
M
£10/5/-
1855
Jan
John Sendall Richard Sendall
HML
£14/10/-
1856
Jan
John Sendall Matthew Yull
HML
£14/10/-
1856
July
John Sendall Matthew Yull
HL
£4/5/-
1857
  John Sendall Matthew Yull
HL
£4/5/-
Dates given are those first showing changes
Poor Rate commencing July 1936 then 1st quarter showing change
Rate in pound varied from 3d November 1840 to 1s. 3d. May 1939 *
N.B. * to 1s. 6d. November 1838 with an exceptional rate of 3s. 6d. September 1838
H = House; L = Land; M = Mill; P = Premises

The Sendall family also owned the Mill_Street_towermill.

The Bankruptcy Act 1861
In the County Court of Norfolk holden at East Dereham
In the Matter of Archibald Brasnett of Mattishall in the County of Norfolk, Baker, Flour Seller, Pork Butcher, Coal Dealer & general Shokeeper, before that of the same place, Miller, Flour Seller and Baker, adjudged Bankrupt 17th March 1865 ...
... Meeting of Creditors for Dividend ... 7 December 1870 ...
Thomas Kerslake, High Bailiff.,
Norfolk News - 26th Novermber 1870

O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Index of Wills 1618: William Dorman, miller

Index of Wills 1619: John Lawes, miller

1787: Michael Dexter, miller

21st September 1787: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Faden's map 1797: Mill

1813: ? Overton, miller

February 1813: Mill advertised for sale

1815: Mill owned by John Tofts, Mrs. Mary Tofts and James Tofts; James Tofts, occupier

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Rate Book 1826: John Tofts, miller, owner & occupier

16th April 1830: Michael Dexter buried at All Saints Church, East Tuddenham aged 76

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

1835: Christmas Tofts, miller

26th October, 1835: Christmas Tofts died

Rate Book July 1836: James Tofts, miller, owner & occupier

Rate Book October 1836: Owner: Mrs. Mary Tofts; Occupier: Richard Egmore

c.1836: Richard Egmore died

Rate Book October 1837: Widow Egmore

Rate Book September 1838:
Owner: Mary Tofts; Occupier: Christmas Fulcher

Tithe Award 1838:
Owner: Mary Tofts; Occupier: Christmas Fulcher

Rate Book May 1839:
Owner: Mary Tofts; Occupier: Christmas Fulcher

Rate Book May 1840:
Owner: Mary Tofts; Mill empty

1840: Mill bought by Richard Sendall

Rate Book August 1840:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: William Neve

Rate Book November 1841:
Owner & Occupier: Richard Sendall

Rate Book January 1842:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: Archibald Brasnett

Rate Book October 1843:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: John Brasnett

Rate Book January 1844:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: Archibald Brasnett

Rate Book October 1844:
Owner & Occupier: Richard Sendall

Rate Book January 1845:
Owner & Occupier: Richard Sendall

Rate Book April 1845:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: Edward Sendall

Rate Book October 1847:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: Levi Reynolds (1844 tenant miller at smockmill)

Rate Book October 1850:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: William Neve

Rate Book January 1851:
Owner & Occupier: Richard Sendall

Rate Book October 1852:
Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: William Neve

Rate Book June
1854: Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: John Sendall

Rate Book January
1855: Owner: Richard Sendall; Occupier: John Sendall

1855: John Sendall, miller

September 1855: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1855: Mill bought by Matthew Yull, farmer

Rate Book January
1856: Owner: Matthew Yull; Occupier: John Sendall

c.July 1856:
Postmill dismantled whilst in the tenancy of John Sendall and site used for construction of Mattishall Mill Road towermill in 1857-58

Rate Book July 1856: Owner: Matthew Yull; Occupier: John Sendall (house & land only)

Rate Book 1857: Owner: Matthew Yull; Occupier: John Sendall (house & land only)

17th March 1865: Archibald Brasnett adjudged bankrupt

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG04391150
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2004