Ludham
Malthouse Lane
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Ludham Malthouse Lane post windmill stood on what later became the site of a Baptist Chapel.


In 1981 Betty Winwood wrote to Harry Apling:
Most of the evidence is from Church Records which deal with the Enclosure Award and the Tithe Map 1842.
In Malthouse Lane, formerly Grimes Land, there was "a Baptist Chapel and before that in 1800 a windmill." This piece of information was given by a local inhabitant since dead ...
Also in the Enclosure Act of 1800 it states in the claims put forward that "John Page the Younger claims ... 12 perches and a half of Freehold Land in Ludham aforesaid upon which a windmill stands in his own occupation."
The Pages owned a house nearby or rather adjacent to where the chapel stood ...

Miss Betty Winwood, The Sedges, Norwich Road, Ludham - 16th November 1981


Ludham Village Survey. Central Sites.
Site No. 5
Baptist Chapel (site of) Malthouse Lane
Site of windmill (corn) previously
Map showing sites

A Survey of Ludham by members of Ludham W. E. A. Class 1980
Journal of the Norfolk Archaeology Society - 1981


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Enclosure 1800: John Page, miller

Kelly's 1904: Here is a Baptist chapel, erected in 1821, seating 150 persons ...

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG39041851  

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007

Top of Page