Ludham
Lovers Lane
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Ludham Lovers Lane post windmill stood on the south side of Lovers Lane on the south side of the village. The mill had a roundhouse and ran two pairs of French burr stones, a flour mill and a jumper. In the 1870s Lovers Lane was known as Lovick's Lane or Mill Lane. Before being destroyed by a gale in 1874, the mill was known as the Black Mill.


To be Sold or Let With Immediate Possession
A very neat and compact Little ESTATE at Ludham in the county of Norfolk consisting of a capital Post Windmill in substantial repair, with two pair of stones, flour mill and all going gears complete, together with a convenient Dwelling house, barn, stable, granary and other outbuildings in good condition, with about two acres of good Arable Land.
The above is situated in a good corn country about 12 miles from Norwich and not above 200 yards from the navigation to Yarmouth.

Norfolk Chronicle - 1st April 1826


Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1842
Map, Newton & Woodrow, Norwich, 1842
Owner: Royall Garrett
Occupier: Royall Garrett

No. 633

Mill & Pightle

0a. 1r. 31p.

1/10d


Valuable Estates at Ludham, Norfolk. Freehold or Copyhold, with possession at Michaelmas.
Messrs. Butcher are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction at the Kings Arms, Ludham, on Friday 11th September 1867 at 3 o'c in 16 lots the undermentioned estates of Mr. Royal Garrett, viz:-
Lot 11.
A POST WINDMILL
driving 2 pairs of stones and in good working repair, with a cottage or warehouse adjoining the same, the whole containing 0a. 1r. 31p.
Apply to Keith, Blake & Keith, or Messrs. Jay & Pilgrim, Solrs. Norwich or Mr. James Garrett, Ludham; at the place of sale or at the offices of Messrs. Butcher, Auctioneers, Norwich & 37 Bedford-row, London.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 22nd & 29th August & Norfolk News - 5th September 1857


LUDHAM
To Millers
To be Let. A capital POST WINDMILL driving two pairs of French stones. Also Flour Mill, Jumper & all requisite machinery for the Trade together with a substantial Dwelling House, nearly new, Stable, Cart Shed & about half an acre of capital Garden.
Possession can be immediately or at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Mr. Daniel England, Millwright, Ludham, who will show the premises.

Norfolk Chronicle - 23rd & 30th May & Norfolk News - 30th May & 6th June 1868


LUDHAM
Messrs. Hewitt & Capon
Have received instructions to Sell by Auction at the Kings Arms Inn. Ludham on Thursday March 2, 1871 at 3 for 4 o'c
A substantially built Self Winding POST WIND MILL with nearly new Brick Round House, driving two pairs of Stones, Flour Mill, Jumper etc.
Also a capital Brick & Tiled Dwelling House with Outhouse, Cart Lodge & Stable, Piggery etc.
Together with a Pightle of Excellent LAND lying round the same containing 0a. 1r. 24p. or thereabouts.
The above Property is situate in LOVICK'S or MILL LANE
within about 200 yards of the town of Ludham and offers a rare opportunity to parties desirous of doing a thriving trade combined with a comfortable and pleasant living.
Mr. D. England, Millwright, Ludham will show the Property.
Apply to Messrs. Blake, Keith & Blake, Solrs. The Chantry, and Messrs. Hewitt & Capon, London and Castle Streets, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 18th & 25th February 1871


LUDHAM
To be Sold or Let
The excellent POST WINDMILL, Dwelling House, Premises and Pightle of Land late in the occupation of Mr. Robert Howes.
Tenders for purchasing or hiring the same are invited to be sent to Messrs. Hewitt & Capon, London Street or to Messrs. Blake, Keith & Blake, Solrs. The Chantry, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 1st & 6th April 1871


LUDHAM
Mr. John Rump has received instructions from the Mortgagee to Sell by Auction on Tuesday April 14, 1874 at the Swan Inn, Stalham at 6 for 7 o'c.
A substantially built Self Winding POST WINDMILL (with Brick roundhouse) driving Two Pairs of Stones, Flour Mill, Jumper etc.
Also a well built Brick and Tiled Dwelling house, with Brick and Tiled Outhouse adjoining and a Brick and Thatched Cart Lodge and Stable and Brick and Tiled Piggery etc.
Together with a PIGHTLE of excellent LAND lying round the above containing by estimation 0a. 1r. 24p. or thereabouts.
Immediate Possession of the Mill may be had and the Tenant of the House and Land is under notice to quit at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Messrs. Blake, Keith & Blake, Solrs. The Chantry, Theatre Street, Norwich, or of the Auctioneer, Sutton, Stalham.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th April 1874


LUDHAM
Mr. John Rump has received instructions from the Mortgagee to Sell by Auction on Tuesday April 14, 1874 at the Swan Inn, Stalham at 6 for 7 o'c.
A substantially built Self Winding POST WINDMILL (with Brick roundhouse) driving Two Pairs of Stones, Flour Mill, Jumper etc.
Also a well built Brick and Tiled Dwelling house, with Brick and Tiled Outhouse adjoining and a Brick and Thatched Cart Lodge and Stable and Brick and Tiled Piggery etc.
Together with a PIGHTLE of excellent LAND lying round the above containing by estimation 0a. 1r. 24p. or thereabouts.
The above Property is situate in LOvick's or Mill Lane and within about 200 yards from the Town.
Immediate Possession of the Mill may be had and the Tenant of the House and Land is under notice to quit at Michaelmas next.
Apply to Messrs. Blake, Keith & Blake, Solrs. The Chantry, Theatre Street, Norwich, or of the Auctioneer, Sutton, Stalham.
Norfolk News - 11th April 1874


LUDHAM, Norfolk.
TO BE LET with possession at Michaelmas next, a POST WINDMILL with COTTAGE and Yard adjoining, situate and being at Ludham, in the county of Norfolk and now in the occupation of Mr. Robert Thompson.
Apply
to Messrs. Keith, Blake & Co., The Chantry, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th October 1884


At Ludham a post mill was overthrown. 2000 trees down on the Sandringham estate.
Suffolk Daily Standard - 27th March 1895


THE HURRICANE ON SUNDAY

... extraordinary force from 3 to 4 o'clock ...
LUDHAM
The old Black Mill was blown over.

Dereham & Fakenham Times - 30th March 1895

During the cyclone on Sunday March 24, the Black Post Mill at Ludham was blown over and completely wrecked.
The Miller - 6th May 1896


During the gale on December 1, a mill at Ludham, recently rebuilt, was thrown over.
The Miller - 3rd January 1898


Mill demolished many years ago. Foundations under east greenhouse.
Letter from Mrs. Thompson, Nurseries, Lovers Lane, Ludham to Harry Apling - 17th August 1971


On 15th and 21st July 1985, P. C. Warner and Mrs. E. J. Warner (née Garrett) wrote to Harry Apling to say that Mrs. Warner was the great great great granddaughter of Royall Garrett.


O.S. Map 2005
O.S. Map 2005
Image reproduced under licence from Ordnance Survey

White's 1836: James Garrett, farmer
White's 1836: William Garrett, gentleman

Census 1841: Royall Garrett, farmer

Kelly's 1896: William Lake, market gardener

Kelly's 1900: William Lake, market gardener

Kelly's 1904: William Lake, market gardener

Kelly's 1908: William Lake, market gardener


Kelly's 1912: William Lake, boat builder, apartments; good accommodation for visitors; boats for hire; fishing free on broads; market gardener

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

April 1826: Mill advertised for sale or let

White's 1836: Royal Garrett, miller & farmer

Census 1841: Israel Royal Garrett, miller

Tithe Award 1842: Owner: Royall Garrett; Occupier: Royall Garrett

White's 1845: Thomas Jay, corn miller

1846: Thomas Jay, corn miller

1850: Robert Warnes, miller

Census 1851: Abiathar Garrett, miller

White's 1854: Abiathar Garrett, corn miller

August 1857: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1858: Abiathar Garrett, miller

White's 1864: Jeremiah Chapman, corn miller

1868: Jeremiah Chapman, miller

May 1868: Mill advertised to be let

1871: Robert Howes, miller

February 1871: Mill advertised for sale by auction

April 1871: Mill advertised for sale or let

1872: Samuel Reynolds, miller

April 1874: Mill advertised for sale by auction

Kelly's 1879: Edward Mayhew, miller

White's 1883: William Lake, corn miller & farmer

1884: Robert Thompson, miller

October 1884: Mill advertised to be let

O.S. map 1884: Windmill

White's 1890: William Lake, corn miller & farmer

Kelly's 1892: William Lake, miller (wind)

Sunday 24th March 1895: Mill blown over in a storm and destroyed

c.1895: Mill rebuilt

24th March 1896: Mill destroyed in a heavy storm that caused much damage to the whole area

1971: Mill site a garden nursery and mill foundations lying under the east greenhouse

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG38671778  

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007

Top of Page