Ludham
High
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Painting by Nick Walmsley depicting the mill c.1905
Painting by Nick Walmsley depicting the mill c.1905

Ludham High towermill was an old mill having been built in the 1742 to replace the Yarmouth_Road_postmill that had stood a few yards to the side. The mill stood next to the mill house close to the road on the east side of the village.


The 3 storey red brick mill with three iron bands around the tower, had a Norfolk boat shaped cap with a petticoat and a 6 bladed fan. Originally built with common sails, in later years the mill was converted to four double shuttered patent sails with 9 bays that turned clockwise and powered two pairs of French burr stones. The sails were struck by rack & pinion via a tailpole


To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
A Brick Tower WINDMILL with two pairs of French Burr Stones & two Flour Mills, together with all the going Gears, situate in the parish of Ludham, in good corn country & within half a mile of the navigable river to Yarmouth. Also a good Dwelling House, Brick & Tiled, near the said Mill. Possession may be had on Old Christmas day next.
Apply to Mr. Howes, the owner, on the premises.

Norwich Mercury - 10th December 1796


To be LETT or SOLD & enter'd upon immediately
A Brick Tower WINDMILL at Ludham in Norfolk, within twelve Miles of Yarmouth, with a Dwelling House & Outhouse thereto belonging, being well accustomed with Goods brought to the Mill.
For further Particulars enquire of Mr. William Cole, of Honing in Norfolk.
Norwich Mercury - 10th January 1761


To Millers
To be Sold by Auction By Mr. Bacon At the Kings Arms in Ludham, Norfolk On Tuesday 27 December instant at 3 o'c
Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract of which notice will be given in this paper.
All that good & substantial TOWER WIND-MILL with two pair of French Burr Stones & two Flour Mills, together with all the going Gears, situate in the parish of Ludham aforesaid, an excellent corn country & within half a mile of the navigable river to Yarmouth. Also all that new erected brick & tile Dwelling House, near the said Mill together with the yards, garden ground & necessary & convenient outbuildings thereto belonging.
The above Premises are in excellent repair, moderately assessed to the Land tax & are part freehold & part copyhold of the manor of Ludham, fine certain. And Possession thereof may be had at Old Christmas day next.
For price (by Private Contract) & further particulars apply to Mr. John Howes jun. or to Mr. Rust, attorney, both of Ludham aforesaid.

Norwich Mercury - 10th December 1796


To Millers
To be Sold by Auction By Mr. Bacon At the Kings Arms in Ludham, Norfolk On Wednesday 25 January instant at 3 o'c
Unless sooner disposed of by Private Contract of which notice will be given in this paper.
All that good & substantial TOWER WIND-MILL with two pair of French Burr Stones, situate in the parish of Ludham aforesaid, an excellent corn country & within half a mile of the navigable river to Yarmouth.
Also all that new erected brick & tile Dwelling House, near the said mill together with the yards, garden ground & necessary & convenient outbuildings thereto belonging.
The above Premises are in excellent repair, moderately assessed to the Land tax & are part freehold & part copyhold of the manor of Ludham, fine certain. And Possession may be had immediately.
Apply to Mr. John Howes Jun. or Mr. Geo. Rust, Attorney, both of Ludham aforesaid.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th & 21st January 1797


Robert Walker Metcalf, formerly of New Catton, afterwards of Lakenham, County and City of Norwich, then of Ludham, afterwards of Lynn, Norfolk, Corn Merchant, and late of Lakenham aforesaid, miller.
Bankrupt.

London Gazette - 26th February 1836


Robert Walker Metcalf, formerly of New Catton, in the parish of St. Clement, in the County of the City of Norwich, Miller, afterwards of Lakenham, Norfolk, then of Ludham, in the Co. of Norfolk, Miller, and lately of Lakenham aforesaid, Miller, Bankrupt.
London Gazette - 12th October 1838


Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling
Tithe map 1840 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1842
Map, Newton & Woodrow, Norwich, 1840
Owner: Simon Grapes
Occupier: do

No. 248

Windmill & Pightle

Pasture

0a. 0r. 31p.

Nil


The original mill, a post_mill, stood further back from the road at the end of what is known as Old Mill Lane. The present mill dates from 1742 recorded by carved numerals on a beam. Built by grandfather of Dan England (1823-1897) and his great-great-grandfather built the previous one. Over seventy years ago Simon Grapes was flour miller here then Mr. E. Newton.
Eastern Daily Press - 1932


22nd June 1932
22nd June 1932

Ancestors of DANIEL ENGLAND - 1823-1897

Great great grandfather
Great grandfather
Grandfather
Father
DAVID
WILLIAM (1)
WILLIAM (2)
DANIEL
born 1715
born 1740
born 1770
born 1823 - died 1897
Chesney W. England, Ambleside, Malthouse Lane, Ludham - letter to Harry Apling - 5th August 1973

I would suggest that
DAVID built the mill in 1742
with cloth sails and tail pole
WILLIAM (1) rebuilt the mill sometime after 1807 with Cubitt's patent sails, boat shaped cap and fantail.
And that neither of these refers to the old post_mill, gone before Faden's map of 1797.

Harry Apling - 1975


15th May 1971
15th May 1971

By the 1970s the mill had been converted to residential use and had a strange mushroom like tiled pyramid roof.


White's 1836: William England millwright

White's 1845: William England millwright

Kelly's 1879: Daniel England, millwright

White's 1883:
Daniel Chasteney England, engineer, millwright, iron & brass founder, and maker and inventer of the patent turbine for fen drainage, and vict. Kings Arms

White's 1890: Daniel Chasteney England, engineer, millwright and iron and brass fndr. & vict. Kings Arms

Kelly's 1892: Daniel Chasteney England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright
Kelly's 1892: Ebenezer Newton, corn, flour, pollard & coal merchant; carrier by water & emigration agent

Kelly's 1896: Daniel Chasteney England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright
Kelly's 1896: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1900:
Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright, agricultural & mechanical engineer & pump manufacturer
Kelly's 1900: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1904:
Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright, agricultural & mechanical engineer & pump manufacturer
Kelly's 1904: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1908:
Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright, agricultural & mechanical engineer & pump manufacturer
Kelly's 1908: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1912:
Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright, agricultural & mechanical engineer & speciality turbine pump manufacturer
Kelly's 1912: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1916:
Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H. & millwright, agricultural & mechanical engineer & speciality turbine pump manufacturer
Kelly's 1916: Ebenezer Newton, corn merchant

Kelly's 1922: Edwin William Daniel England, King's Arms P.H.


Kelly's 1922: Hubert James Newton, miller (wind) 1925/29/33/37 - unknown mill


1742: Mill built to replace earlier postmill

January 1761: Mill advertised for sale or let

1796: John Howes jnr., miller

10th December 1796: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

17th December 1796: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1796: John Howes jnr., miller

Faden's map 1797: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

White's 1836: Rober Metcalf, corn miller

1836: Robert Walker Metcalf bankrupt

Census 1841:

Simon Grapes (30) miller
Sarah Grapes (30)
Amy Grapes (12)
Susan Grapes (8)
Emily Grapes (5)
Ann Grapes (5)
John Grapes (1)


Tithe Award 1842: Owner: Simon Grapes; Occupier: Simon Grapes

White's 1845: Simon Grapes, corn miller

Census 1851:

Simon Grapes (43) b.Potter Heigham, miller
Sarah Grapes (42) b.Hickling
Simon Grapes (17) b.Hickling, miller
Ann Grapes (15) b.Hickling
Emily Grapes (13) b.Ludham
John Grapes (11) b.Ludham
William Grapes (9) b.Ludham, scholar
Thirza Grapes (7) b.Ludham, scholar
Elithia Grapes (5) b.Ludham, scholar
Sarah Grapes (3) b.Ludham
Address: Hill Farm, Yarmouth Road


Census 1851: John Dale (27) b.Newton Flotman, miller (employee) Address: Ludham Street

White's 1854: Simon Grape, corn miller

1878: Simon Grapes, miller

Kelly's 1879: Miss Emily Grapes, miller

White's 1883: Miss Emily Grapes, corn miller

1888: George Kendall, miller

White's 1890: Ebenezer Newton, corn miller & coal merchant

12th December 1931: Mill derelict with 2 sails

1975: Tower reduced to 20 feet, tiled roof and in use as a garage


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG39691849  

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005

Top of Page