Letton
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Letton post windmill was working in the 1400s.


A rental of Letton of 1685 records "Tho. Motte for the windmill 1/6d for 1 year."
There was Millhill Close which lay in the part of Letton which was south of the road from Cranworth to Shipdham in 1627. There is also a 15th cent. reference to a way leading from Letton church to Cranworth_watermill which seems to have been in the neighbourhood of the parish boundary.

Norfolk Archaeological Rescue Group, Union House, Gressenhall - A. J. Davison, 1984


Faden's map 1797
Faden's map 1797

Cranworth_watermill (there was one in the Domesday Book) appears to have been at about TF97200475, where Faden's map of 1797 shows a 'Mill Moor'. Bryant's map of 1826 shows a 'Mill House' between this and Letton Church, which could be near the site of the windmill.
Norfolk Archaeological Rescue Group, Union House, Gressenhall - A. J. Davison, 1984



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF97550520  

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007

Top of Page