Kings Lynn
The Walk
postmills



Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Kings Lynn had two postmills that were depicted on William Rastrick's Plan of Kings Lynn in 1725.


... Bank of the Gallows Pasture, made in 1804, stretched from the south side of the Millfleet at the arch on the Walks to the South Gates. Parallel with the bank ran the town ditch sometimes called the "Cockle dyke". The Hospital field which once abutted upon the "Mill meadow" was known 300 years ago as Gallows Pasture and the mound ... Gallows Hill. A windmill was erected on the spot (1595). It was however quickly removed, but in 1667 another mill was reared on the same favourable site.
History of King's Lynn - Henry J. Hillen


William Rastrick's Plan of Kings Lynn 1725
William Rastrick's Plan of Kings Lynn 1725
- The Walk postmills top right
with Millfleet mill bottom left


An engraving by J. Bishop from a drawing by John Sell Cotman shows two postmills in the distance and is mentioned in
Excursions in the County of Norfolk - 1819


Bell's Groundplat of Kings Lyn 1680: Corne Mill

Rastrick's plan of King's Lynn 1725: Two mills shown side by side



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF62451955
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007