Gt. Yarmouth North Denes
North Middle postmill
No. 4


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

North Denes post mill No. 4 was one of the earlier mills on the Denes. Little is known about this mill apart from the fact that it was an open trestle mill.

In the reign of Queen Elizabeth, as we see by the drawing in the British Museum, the erections beyond the walls consisted only of four windmills constructed of wood standing on piles . .
All the roads and paths leading from the town to the sea shore were made for the purpose of going to and from these mills and the three public wells which were about midway and from which the inhabitants of the north, middle and south parts of the town obtained a supply of water.
The mills were very conspicuous objects when there were but few houses on the Denes and rendered the town remarkable when viewed from the sea. The site of the north mill appears to have been granted at an early period to John Cannon by the Corporation. The latter also sold to John Harding, who was baliff in 1574, a piece of land whereon a mill was built, reserving a rent of 5/- and in 1583 they sold the "second south mill" then called the new mill to Robert Dell.

Charles John Palmer - The Perlustration of Great Yarmouth - 1875

Yorke's map 1588: Windmill


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG 52860780
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2013