Gillingham
postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Gillingham post mill stood to the southeast of the village. The mill had roundhouse, patent sails and a fantail. Unusually for a postmill, 3 pairs of French burr stones were used along with a flour mill.

Faden's map of 1797 shows the mill as a drainage mill, which is unusual as due to their construction being mainly above ground level, postmills do not lend themselves easily to this task. The mill would have originally been built with common sails and the structure would have been changed and renovated several times over the centuries.

Tithe map 1839
Tithe map 1839 - as redrawn by Harry Apling

Tithe Award 1839
Owner: Thomas Balls
Occupier: James Scarlett

No. 19

Mill & pightle

Pasture

1a. 0r. 12p.

3/2d



GILLINGHAM
To Millers, Corn Merchants & others
To be Peretemporarily Sold by Auction by Mr. Oswald on Friday 11 May 1849 at the Kings Head Hotel, Beccles at 5 for 6 o'c.
An excellent piece of MEADOW LAND containing 1a. 0r. 4p. with a very powerful WINDMILL erected thereon with patent sails, self winding apparatus, three pairs of best French burr stones, flour mill & all other fixed going gears complete, in capital repair, with spacious brick roundhouse capable of containing 600 sacks of flour & corn.

The Grist Trade alone averages more than £100 per annum.
The above Mill is situate near the Turnpike road leading over Gillingham Dam & within a short distance from the Beccles Wharf.
The Property is all Freehold & now in the occupation of the Proprietor who will give possession on completion of the purchase.
Particulars of Messrs. Fiske, Francis & Fiske, Solrs. or the Auctioneer, Beccles.

Norwich Chronicle & Norwich Gazette - 5th May 1849


To Millers
To be Let
With possession at Michaelmas
THE WINDMILL situate near Gillingham Dam.

Norwich Chronicle - 27th April, 25th May, 1st, 8th & 15th June 1861


Windmill & Freehold Marsh Land at GILLINHAM, Norfolk.
Mr. James Crisp is directed to Sell by Auction on Friday 2 May, 1862 at the Kings Head Inn, Beccles at 5 o'c, the POST WINDMILL upon Brick Round House containing Six Floors, three pairs of French Burr Stones & Machinery, brick built Engine House, Stable etc. & 1a. 0r. 24p of Fine Grazing MARSH LAND.
Apply Messrs. Bohun & Rix, Solicitors, or the Auctioneer at Beccles.

Norwich News - 19th & 26th April 1862


Ogilby's Britannia map 1675, Plate 54, London to Yarmouth: Windmill

Faden's map 1797: Drain Mill

Bryant's map 1826: Mill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Thomas Balls, miller

O.S. map 1838: Mill

Tithe Award 1839: Owner: John Balls; Occupier: James Scarlett

White's 1845: Thomas Balls, miller

1846: John Scarlett, miller

May 1849: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1850: John Shardlow, miller

White's 1854: George Henry Toll, corn miller

April 1861: Mill advertised to be let

April 1862: Mill advertised for sale by auction



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM41859127

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007


Top of Page