Gaywood Wootton Road
postmill


Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Gaywood Wootton Road post windmill stood on the east side of the in what later became the northern suburbs of Kings Lynn. The mill was quite small and ran a single pair of French burr stones. A towermill stood on the same site although it is probable that the postmill was older and was converted from common sails to patent sails in 1819..


To Millers
To be Sold
Four Capital WINDMILL SAILS, length 36 feet with cloths to the same.
Also a capital Iron Axle length 9 ft. 6 ins.
Apply to Mr. G. Plowright, Norfolk Street, Lynn.
Norfolk Chronicle - 3rd April 1819


To Millers & others. Freehold Estate at Gaywood, Norfolk.
To be sold by Auction by CRUSO & SON at the Dukes Head Hotel, Kings Lynn on Tuesday 24 May 1859 at 4 o'c
All that capital Messuage or Dwelling House with all the requisite Offices, Stable, Cart Lodge, Granary & Outbuildings. Also a BRICK_TOWER_WINDMILL with patent sails, winding herself & driving three pairs of French stones, with flour machine, flour mill & going gears all in good repair.
Also a POST WINDMILL near with patent sails driving one pair of patent sails as are now doing a good retail & a large grist trade. Also 13 acres (more or less) of Arable & Pasture Land in a good state of cultivation.
The above Property is situate next the Turnpike road leading to Castle Rising, adjoining the lands of Sir Wm. Ffolkes, Bart. & Richard Bagge Esq. respectively & forms from the proximity to the Town of Kings Lynn a very desirable situation for occupation or investment.
Possession may be had on completion of the purchase.
Apply to Mr. George Plowright, the proprietor, the Auctioneers or at the office of Mr. Jarvis, Solr. Lynn.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th & 21st May 1859


O.S. Map 2007
Image produced under licence from Ordnance Survey

Alfred Blomfield appears to have retired in 1888.
On 9 August 1888 three fields around the house and mill totalling
12a. 0r. 38p. were put up for auction as suitable for building land by Messrs. Miles & Son, at the Glebe Hotel, King's Lynn at 7 o'c in the evening.
Mr. Blomfield retained the house & mill.
Harry Apling - c.1982


White's 1836: George Ploughwright, corn miller
White's 1836: Stephen Walker, corn miller
White's 1864: Alfred Blomfield, farmer, brewer & maltster


1819: Mill possibly converted from common sails to patent sails

1822: William Walker, miller

O.S. map 1824: Windmill

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Pigot's 1830: William Walker, miller, Gaywood

White's 1836: William Walker, corn miller

Index of Wills 1836: William Walker, miller

1839: Sarah Walker, miller

1840: Sarah Walker, miller

White's 1845: G. B. Plowrght, corn miller, Wootton Gap

1850: George Batch Plowright, miller

White's 1854: George Plowright, corn miller

1859: George Plowright, owner and miller

May 1859: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with towermill on same site

1863: Alfred Bloomfield, miller

December 1871: Household effects of Alfred Bloomfield advertised for sale by auction

March 1878: Household furniture of T. W. Walker, occupier of Mill House, advertised for sale by auction

Kelly's 1879: Alfred Bloomfield, farmer, landowner & miller

1888: Alfred Blomfield retired

9th August 1888: Three fields (12a. 0r. 38p.) around the mill were auctioned for building land

30th September 1980: Reported that a new house had been built on the mill site



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF63972161
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007