Frettenham towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

c.1910
c.1910

Frettenham towermill was a 47 foot, five storey tarred brick mill that was built c.1870 in the yard of Home Farm on the outskirts of the village. The mill was built for Joshua Harper, who was also a farmer and a dyer and it was one of the last towermills to be built in Norfolk. The mill had a boat shaped cap, four patent sails and a fan. A stage was set around the second floor.


23rd October 1970
23rd October 1970

A newspaper advertrisment of 4th July 1891 mentioned that the mill had been built about ten years since.



23rd December 2004
23rd December 2004

FRETTENHAM near Norwich

Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from the Executrix of the late Mr. Joshua Harper to Sell by Auction on Saturday July 18, 1891 at 12 for 1 o'clock at the Royal Hotel, Norwich
THE HOME FARM AT FRETTENHAM
comprising Residence, Tower Windmill & about 91 Acres of LAND.
Particulars of Messrs. SPELMAN, Norwich, Yarmouth & LOwestoft & of Mr. E. A. Tillett, Solr. Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 27th June 1891

FRETTENHAM near Norwich

Messrs. SPELMAN have received instructions from Mrs. Ann Harper to Sell by Auction on Saturday July 18th, 1891 at 12 for 1 o'clock at the Royal Hotel, Norwich, the valuable small Freehold FARM known as 'Home Farm' situate at Frettenham, Norfolk, about 5 miles from Norwich and 3 miles from Coltishall and Buxton Stations, comprising Residence, Agricultural Buildings, Tower Windmill, Arable and Pasture LAND containing altogether
92a. 2r.10p.
or thereabouts, with possession at Michaelmas next. The Mill was built about ten years since and stands in a good position for business. The House is well arranged and there is a Vinery, also Kitchen and Vegetable Gardens and Orchard, the whole forming a very pleasant Residence.
Particulars of Messrs. Spelman and of Mr. Edward A. Tillett, Solicitor, Tombland, Norwich.
Norfolk Chronicle - 4th July 1891

2003
2003

The mill had become derelict by 1970 but by at least by 2000 the cap had been restored and some of the gearing remained in situ. The new cap was a much flatter version of the original high Norfolk boat shaped cap shown on the photo at the top of the page.


23rd December 2004
23rd December 2004

Nr. W. D. Field gave a 4ft 4ins French burr stone to the village for the new sign. The stone was set to form the top of the sign base and the sign was unveiled in August 1981.


19th April 2005
19th April 2005

c.1870: Mill built for Joshua Harper

White's 1888: Joshua Harper, miller, farmer and owner, overseer and surveyor

1891: Joshua Harper died and mill sold by auction by his widow and executrix Ann Harper

1891: Mill bought by Alfred Edward Sutton Herne

Kelly's 1892: Alfred Edward Sutton Herne, farmer and miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Alfred Edward Sutton Herne, farmer and miller (wind)

Kelly's 1900: Alfred Edward Sutton Herne, farmer and miller (wind)

Karl Wood painting 1937: Mill derelict with stage, cap & fan frames and possibly the windshaft still remaining

1970: Mill derelict with no cap and stage gone but internal gearing still in situ

1970: W. D. Field, Mill Farm

18th March, 1984: Walter Doughty of Mill Farm died at Gt. Witchingham aged 91 years

2000: New cap fitted some time ago. Supports of stage still remaining

November 2008_ Mill Farms Barns & mill advertised for sale for £600,000



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG24591776
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005