Foxley
towermill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

1970
1970

 


Foxley towermill lay to the southwest of the village and was a five storey mill built of red brick by William Elvin in 1845, with a datestone being placed above the door. Four patent sails were used to power 2 pairs of Fench burr stones and a flour mill although the mill was advertised as being capable of driving a third pair of stones if they were installed. A date tablet of 1859 was incorporated on the mill house.


As William Elvin still lived at Bawdeswell Mill House, he was recorded in directories as being at Bawdeswell until 1858.
He was said to have made his way to Foxley Mill each day across the intervening fields.


18th May 1980
18th May 1980

Foxley, Norfolk

To Millers & others

To be Sold by Auction by Mr. John Standley at the Rampant Horse Inn, Norwich on Saturday December 7, 1861 at 3 for 4 o’c

A new brick & slated Dwelling House …

A piece of Land thereto adjoining containing altogether 3a.2r.35p. or thereabouts

Also a Capital brick TOWER WINDMILL with five floors, patent sails, with revolving cap to wind herself, drives two pairs of stones (French burrs) with hoist tackle, flour mill & machinery complete in good working order. The Mill has power & is capable of driving a third pair of stones if put in.

The Property is freehold & situate in Foxley adjoining the public road leading from Billingford to Bawdeswell & is now in the occupation of Mr. James David Elvin & of which immediate possession may be had.

Apply to Messrs. Mitchell& Clarke, Solrs. or to the Auctioneer, Wymondham.
Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 23rd & 30th November 1861


Foxley To Millers & others

To be Sold by Auction by Mr. John Standley at the Kings Arms Inn, East Dereham on Friday 19 September 1862 at 2 o’c

Details of Dwelling house & BRICK TOWER WINDMILL

As advertised in November 1861 except possession 11 October next.

Norfolk Chronicle - 6th September & Norfolk News 6th & 13th April 1862


To Millers & others

TO BE SOLD OR LET

A good New Brick & Slated Dwelling house & capital Brick TOWER WINDMILL with five floors, patent sails, two pairs of French burr stones, & machinery complete: with about 4 acres of excellent Land situate at Foxley in Norfolk, now in the possession of Mr. J. E. Elvin. Immediate possession may be had.

Apply to Messrs. Mitchell & Clarke, Solrs. Wymondham

Norfolk News - 18th April & 16th May & Norfolk Chronicle 11th July 1863


To Millers & others

To be SOLD or LET, a good new Brick & Slated DWELLING HOUSE & Brick Tower WIND-MILL with Five Floors, Patent Sails, two pairs French Burr Stones, with about 4 Acres of excellent LAND at Foxley in Norfolk, now in the occupation of Mr. J. D. Elvin.

Immediate possession may be had.

For particulars apply to Messrs. Mitchell & Clarke, Solicitors, Wymondham.

Norfolk News - 1st August 1863


Foxley

To Millers To be Let

All that TOWER WINDMILL called the “Foxley Mill” with four patent sails, driving 2 pairs of stones, also Dressing Mill with all requisite machinery for driving the same. Together with a substantial Dwelling House (nearly new), Stable & Cart Shed & 3 acres of excellent Arable Land, all situate at Foxley, Norfolk.

Apply to Mr. E.G. Read, Mattishall, who will show the Premises or to Messrs. Kerrison & Preston, Solrs. Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle & Norfolk News - 16th May, 13th & 20th June 1868


To Millers

WANTED, a Young Man who can work a Windmill.

Apply to W. Neal, Foxley Mill.

Norfolk News - 22nd & 29th August 1874


Foxley, Norfolk

Brick Tower WINDMILL, Dwelling house, Stable & 3a.2r.35p. of Freehold Land

Messrs. Ireland are instructed to offer the above very eligible Property for Sale by Auction early in October. Possession may be had on the 11 th October next.

Further particulars in next week’s papers & to be obtained from Mr. Arthur Preston, Solr. Bank Street, Norwich & of the Auctioneers, 5 Bank Plain, Norwich & Guestwick, East Dereham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 18th September 1880


On Tuesday next

Foxley, Norfolk

BRICK TOWER WINDMILL, DWELLING HOUSE, OUTBUIDINGS & 3a.2r.35p. of FREEHOLD LAND

Messrs. Ireland are instructed to offer the above eligible PROPERTY for Sale by Auction at the “Ship” Inn, Foulsham, on Tuesday 5 October 1880 at 6 for 7 o’c.

The MILL is conveniently situated, well appointed & capable of driving two Pairs of Stones, with Flour Dresser. The RESIDENCE is a very comfortable one with all requisite Offices & the FARM BUILDINGS comprise excellent Stabling, Granary & Cart Lodge. The LAND, Arable & Pasture, is in a high state of cultivation.

All the above are now occupied by Mr. James Buckenham, by whom possession will be given on the 11 th October.

Particulars of the Auctioneers, Norwich & Guestwick, East Dereham or of Mr. Arthur Preston, Solr. Bank Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 2nd October 1880


Invoice c.1887
Invoice c.1887

Foxley

To be Sold by Private Contract

A Brick TOWER WINDMILL, CONVENIENTLY situated, very powerful & well appointed, capable of driving two pairs of stones, with Flour Dresser; also a comfortable DWELLING HOUSE with all requisite offices. FARM BUILDINGS comprising excellent Brick & Slate Stable, Granary & Cart Lodge, also 3a.2r.35p. of Arable & Pasture LAND.

In a high state of cultivation, abutting upon the estates of the Earl of Leicester, the Rev. E. Lombe & the road leading from Foxley Village to Billingford.

All the above are now occupied by Mr. James Buckenham, by whom possession will be given on the 11 th October next.

All Freehold.

Apply to Messrs. Preston & Son, Solrs. Bank Street, Norwich.

Norfolk Chronicle - 4th June 1881


Foxley

Small Freehold Investment

Messrs. C. H. Read & Son are instructed to sell by Auction at the Ship Inn, Foulsham on Tuesday 16 July 1889 at 6 for 7 o’c in the Evening

A substantially Brick Built & Slated DWELLING HOUSE with Garden, Orchard, Brick & Slated Stable, Cart Lodge & Granary, the Brick Tower & Machinery of WINDMILL & an Enclosure of superior Arable & Pasture LAND, now in the occupation of Mr. George Juby.

Particulars of Messrs. Preston & Son, Solrs. Norwich & of the Auctioneers, Framlingham, Suffolk or at the place of Sale.

Norfolk Chronicle - 29th June & 6th & 13th July 1889


O.S. Map 1891
O.S. Map 1891
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey

By 1980 the mill had been reduced to 3 storeys with a flat roof and was bordered by a wall, a swimming pool and modern bungalows. The remaining tower was 30ft high and 20ft 6ins diameter at the base. Prior to renovation in that year, the tower had been used as a store.


Bought property from Mr. Hepburn Wright in September 1980. Have renovated ground and first floors of mill, without structural alterations, to comprise an Art Gallery.

Hepburn Wright purchased property from Parfitt Brs. In 1975, demolished old Mill House and built a modern single storey dwelling round three sides of a courtyard opening east to mill.

Mill has name A.E. Parfitt cut into door of ground floor which leads to adjoining outhouse. Also has an old fireplace to the north with an outside chimney.
Notes by Harry Apling re. a letter from Mr. & Mrs. Philip Hollis, Mill House, Foxley - 20th June 1981


Father, Arthur Ernest Parfitt purchased property in 1890. Mill had been dismantled. (Kelly’s 1900 – market gardener) Later with sons in partnership developed premises for fruit farming. Bawdeswell smock mill was on the Evans Lombe Estate and when it became uneconomical or disused its demolition was ordered.

It appears that last miller there, William Elvin then built Foxley Mill (1845) but still lived at Bawdeswell Mill House, which still remains, thus being given as miller at Bawdeswell till 1858. However, he made his way to Foxley mill every day across the intervening fields. Foxley Mill House was built in 1859 and James David Elvin is given there in 1861.
Notes by Harry Apling re. a letter from Robert C. Parfitt, Hernfield, Mill Rd., Foxley - 20th June 1981


I believe George Juby who you have as the last Miller, was my great great Grandfather. The Juby Family were living in Bawdeswell around this time and he is the only George Juby on the census that was living nearby. His Parents were John Juby and Martha Adcock and he was married to Ann Elsden. Most of their 10 Children were born in Bawdeswell. On the Whissonsett 1881 census George was listed as a thrashing Machine Owner living in Hurn Lane but I'm not sure if this would be a step up or down.  The 1891 the census shows he had moved to Horsham St. Faith. Unfortunately he was killed a on 28th August 1895 aged 49 by a wagon wheel in a carting accident.
Sophy Silcocks - 2nd January 2008


Alec J. Parfitt had died prior to 1981


1845: Mill built by William Elvin who previously ran Bawdeswell smockmill

1859: Mill house built

1861: James David Elvin, miller

November 1861: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1861: James David Elvin, miller

September 1862: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1863: James David Elvin, miller

July 1863: Mill advertised for sale or let

White's 1864: Thomas Merrison, of Worthing, occupies the corn mill

June 1868: Mill advertised to be let

Census 1871: Benjamin Skinner, master miller, employing 1 man

1874: William Neal, miller

1878: William Neal, miller

Kelly's 1879: James Buckenham, miller

1880: James Buckenham, miller

September 1880: Mill advertised for sale by auction

1881: James Buckenham, miller

June 1881: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

White's 1888: William Hilton, miller & farmer

1888: Herbert Clarke, miller

1889: George Juby, miller

June 1889: Mill advertised for sale by auction

28th August 1895: George Juby killed by a wagon wheel in a carting accident at the age of 49

c.1899: Mill machinery dismantled

1890: Mill bought by Arthur Ernest Parfitt

1970: Parfitt Bros., (Robert C. & Alec J.) fruit growers

1975: Hepburn Wright bought mill from Parfitt Bros

1980: Mill reduced to 3 storeys with a flat roof

Septermber 1980: Philip Hollis bought mill from Hepburn Wright and renovated first floor for art gallery



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TG03202085  

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005

Top of Page