Feltwell
Wilton Road towermill



Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills

Feltwell post and tower mills c.1890
Round sailed postmill and towermill c.1890

Feltwell towermill was a five storey mill (plus cap floor) that was built on land beside the Wilton Road by William Heading in 1860 and bore a datestone inscribed W.H. 1860. The mill was powered by four double shuttered sails each with eight bays of three shutters that drove four pairs of stones, two flour mills and a smut machine. The ogee cap with its ball finial was vertically boarded to form a petticoat and held an eight bladed fantail and an iron railed gallery. The stage was set around the second floor. By 1900, a steam engine had been installed along side the mill to provide auxiliary power and this was replaced by a gas engine in 1908.


William's Heading's father, Henry Heading, was a farmer and he also ran the smockmill at Mill Drift (TL71309013) as well as the postmill that stood on the same property adjacent to where the new towermill was subsequently built. William and his brother Henry jnr then became responsible for running the postmill and the towermill, which they did with three journeyman millers: Charles Cuthbert, Edmund King and William Moore. When Henry snr died on 8th February 1872 at the age of 79, Henry jnr took over the running of the farm while William remained as miller.


Death
HEADING, Henry February 8, in his 80th year.
Norfolk News - 10th February 1872

Henry Heading, deceased
Notice re above who died 8th February.
Accounts to William Heading, Feltwell, Miller or to
Mr. Edmund Crowe, of Hill House, Denver, farmer, Executors

Norfolk News - 10th February 1872
N.B. Edmund Crowe ran Watlington towermill

James Chapman of Mundford gave a mortgage to William Heading of Feltwell Mill to purchase Park Farem Dereham. William Heading replied on 28th July 1872:
My address is William Heading, Feltwell Mills. My brother is the Farmer and I am the Miller if you should write to me Private. Sometimes he received my letters.


Situation Vacant
To Journeymen Millers

WANTED at Michaelmas, a Married Man who thoroughtly understands his business, to manage a Windmill. Rent free and 17s per week.
apply W. Heading, Feltwell Mill.

Norfolk News - 21st September 1872

1905
1905

The above advert was apparently unsuccessful in the long term as further adverts appeared in the press up until 1875. In 1877 William Heading decided to sell the mills and his farm at East Dereham, having bought the Dillington Hall Estate. This also appeared to be an unsuccessful venture as the estate, along with his furniture was sold in 1888. A short time later William Heading committed suicide.


FELTWELL & EAST DEREHAM, Norfolk

All that old established Freehold Mercantile Property known as FELTWELL MILLS consisting of a lofty Brick Tower Windmill with six floors, bearings for four pairs of Stones, with all the first class fixed Machinery, two Flour Mills, Sifter, Smut Machine, four Patent Sails, Wind Tackle, fitted with two outside Stages and Iron Palisadings, capable of storing 1400 Coombs of Corn, built in 1860 in the best possible manner, both as regards Materials, Machinery and Workmanship.
Also a capital POST MILL with roundhouse, Circular Sails and Wind Tackle all in first class repair and occupying a commanding position on the road leading from Feltwell to Lakenheath and Brandon Stations. There is a commodious Dwelling House and suitable Offices, Chaise house, Flour and Offal Shops, Corn Granaries, Garden and Paddock, also detached Cart and Nag Horse Stables, Harness house, Van and Cart lodges with Corn Granary over, Loose boxes, Cow Sheds, range of new Brick and Tile Piggeries, Carpenter’s Shop and Sheds, the whole enclosed in a ring fence.
The goodwill of this sound, old-established Business and the fixed Mill Machinery will be included in the purchase. The purchaser will have the option of taking on Lease 23 acres of good arable Land adjoining the property.
And the PARK FARM ESTATE near the Railway Station and Market Town of East Dereham… which
EDWARD BANHAM is favoured with directions from Mr. William Heading (who has purchased the Dillington Hall Estate for a Residence) to Sell by Auction at the King’s Arms Hotel, East Dereham, on Friday July 20, 1877 at 4 o’clock precisely, in the following order
Lot 1. The MILL PROPERTY at Feltwell as described above
Lot 2. The PARK FARM…
Lots 3-9….
The whole of the above described Property is in the occupation of the Proprietor.
Particulars of Messrs. Isaacson & Sons, Solicitors, Mildenhall, at the office of the Auctioneer, Methwold, at the King’s Arms Hotel, East Dereham and posted free.

Norfolk News - 21st September 1872


Situations Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
WANTED, this day fortnight, a Married Man who understands his business to manage a Windmill.
Apply to W. Heading, Feltwell Mills.

Norfolk News - 16th November 1872


Situations Vacant
To Journeymen Millers
WANTED, the first part of September, a Married MAN who thoroughly understands his business to Manage a Windmill.
Apply to W. Heading, Feltwell Mills.

Norfolk News - 2nd August 1873


Situations Vacant
To JOURNEYMEN MILLERS
Wanted, a Married Man in March who thoroughly understands his business.
Apply to W. Heading, Feltwell Mills.

Norfolk News - 6th February 1875

Preliminary
East Dereham & Feltwell, Norfolk
Park Farm Estate, East Dereham …
IMPORTANT OLD ESTABLISHED MILL PROPERTY at FELTWELL, Norfolk, Two miles from the Lakenheath Station on the Great Eastern Main Line, comprising a fine Brick Tower Wind-Mill, 70 feet high, having five floors, built in the best possible manner, both as to materials, machinery & workmanship, in the year 1860; also a Post Wind Mill with circular sail, Granary Accomodation for 1000 quarter of grain, Stables, Lodges, Piggeries, dwelling House & Offices, Garden & Grass Paddock, together with the Goodwill of one of the best old established retail businesses in the county, which
Edward Banham is favoured with instructions from Mr. William Heading, the Proprietor (who has purchased as a residence the Dillington Hall Estate) to Sell by Auction at the Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham, on Friday July 20, 1877.
Plans & particulars are being prepared & will be issued in due course.
Vendor’s Solicitors,
Messrs. Isaacson & Son,
Solrs. Mildenhall.
Offices, Methwold Hall, Brandon.
Norfolk Chronicle - 30th June & 7th July 1877


Feltwell & East Dereham, Norfolk
All that old established Freehold Mercantile Property known as FELTWELL MILLS
Consisting of a lofty Brick Tower Windmill with six floors, bearings for four pairs of Stones, with all the first class fixed Machinery, two Flour Mills, Sifter, Smut Machine, four Patent Sails, Wind Tackle, fitted with two outside Stages & Iron Palisadings, capable of storing 1400 Coombs of Corn, built in 1860 in the best possible manner, both as regards Materials, Machinery & Workmanship.
Also a capital POST MILL with Roundhouse, Circular Sails & Wind Tackle all in first class repair & occupying a commanding position on the road leading from Feltwell to Lakenheath & Brandon Stations. There is a commodious Dwelling House & suitable Offices, Chaise house, Flour & Offal Shops, Corn Granaries, Garden & Paddock, also detached Cart & Nag Horse Stables, harness house, Van & Cart lodges with Corn Granary over, Loose boxes, Cow Sheds, range of new Brick & Tiles Piggeries, Carpenter’s Shop & Sheds, the whole enclosed in a ring fence.
The goodwill of this sound, old-established Business & the fixed Mill Machinery will be included in the purchase. The purchaser will have the option of taking on Lease 23 acres of good arable Land adjoining the property.
And the PARK FARM ESTATE situate near the Railway Station & Market Town of East Dereham … which
Edward Banham is favoured with directions from Mr. William Heading (who has purchased the Dillington Hill Estate for a Residence) to Sell by Auction at the Kings Arms, Hotel, East Dereham, on Friday July 20, 1877 at 4 o’c precisely, in the following order
Lot 1. The MILL PROPERTY at Feltwell as described above
Lot 2. The PARK FARM …
Lots 3 - 9
The whole of the above described Property is in the occupation of the Proprietor.
Particulars of Messrs. Isaacson & Sons, Solrs. Mildenhall, at the office of the Auctioneer, Methwold, at the Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham & posted free.

Norfolk Chronicle - 14th July 1877

To Master Millers
WANTED by a young man (married) a situation as a Miller. Good character. Can work water, wind or steam.
Address Walter Manning, Feltwell Mills, Brandon, Norfolk.

Lynn Advertiser - 22nd March 1879


WANTED, a good baker's Cart.
Apply to Mr. Johnson, Feltwell Mills, Brandon.
Lynn Advertiser - 3rd May 1879


Dillington Hall Estate
To be Sold by Auction at the Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham, on 7 July 1879 under instructions from Mr. William Heading.

Norfolk Chronicle & Lynn Advertiser - 14th June 1879

To Millers & Bakers
A Married Man to work a Windmill, must be a good Stoneman and understand making good flour. Also a single man to manage a country baking trade.
Apply to Mr. Geo. Johnson, Feltwell, Brandon.

Lynn Advertiser - 10th September 1881


To Bakers & Confectioners
WANTED, a thorough good Bread Maker & used to small goods; good references.
Apply to H.E. King, Feltwell, Brandon.

Lynn Advertiser - 28th July 1883
Horace Edmund King was a Feltwell baker before taking over the windmills


First Notice
The Dillington Hall Estate, East Dereham
Sale on Friday September 4, 1885 at the Kings Arms Hotel, East Dereham

Mansion etc.
Cottages
Land, 271 acres
Household Furniture
Of Mr. William Heading

Norfolk Chronicle - 15th August 1885

To Windmillers & Bakers
For Immediate Sale by Private Contract, the well known old-established Mill Property, comprising the fine brick tower windmill with patent sails & improved machinery; the post mill with circular sails; granaries, stables, piggeries, dwelling house & offices, 40 stone brick oven, gardens & paddocks; situated at Feltwell, Norfolk, two miles from the Lakenheath Station, built by the late Henry Heading & now belonging to Mr. George Johnson, who is leaving England.
The above is situated in a fine corn growing district, has a good grist trade & an extensive scope for both wholesale & retail trade.
Apply to Edward Banham & Son, Land Agents, Auctioneers & Valuers, Methwold Hall, Brandon.

Lynn Advertiser - 10th March 1888

George Johnson bought both mills, presumably to help with his baking business. In 1888 he decided to emigrate and put the mills up for auction in August of that year. His farm stock was auctioned at Michaelmas and his household effects on 16th April 1889.


c.1918
c.1918

Preliminary Notice
FELTWELL, Norfolk
To Millers & Merchants
Edward Banham & Son Have received instructions from the proprietor, Mr. George Johnson, who is giving up business & going abroad, to Sell by Auction at the Oak Tree Inn, Feltwell, on Monday August 13, 1888. FREEHOLD MERCANTILE ESTATE
known as "The Feltwell Mills" with immediate possession.
Particulars in future papers.

 

John Hutchen jun.

Vendor's Solr. Thetford

Lynn Advertiser - 21st & 28th July 1888

FELTWELL, Norfolk
Most Eligible Freehold Mercantile Property
Known as ‘The Feltwell Mills’

EDWARD BANHAM & SON
Are instructed by the proprietor Mr. George Johnson, who is going abroad, to Sell by Auction at the Oak Tree Inn, Feltwell on Monday August 13, 1888 at 5 o’clock in the afternoon punctually, as follows:-
Lot 1. A substantially built TOWER WINDMILL, 70 feet high, 22 feet in the clear at the base, having 6 floors, driving 3 pairs of stones, with the fixed machinery, 4 patent sails, wind tackle and all going and running gear, ropes, chains and tackle.
This Mill is capable of taking in 1,400 coombs of grain.
Also an excellent POST WINDMILL and fixed machinery and gear with roomy roundhouse, circular sail and wind tackle.
Also a commodious DWELLING HOUSE with offices, 40-stone oven, flour and offal shops, corn granaries, garden and paddock. Cart lodges, cow sheds and piggeries and carpenter’s shop. The whole is enclosed in a ring fence and contains 1a.3r.0p. The Mills occupy a commanding position in a populous neighbourhood, on the road leading from Feltwell to Lakenheath and Brandon Stations on the Great Eastern main line and are situated in a good corn-growing district.
Lot 2. An Allotment of FEN LAND containing 91.2r.21p, valuable for Turf digging, situate on the North side of Sam’s Cut.
Possession of both lots can be had on the 17 th September.
N.B. The purchaser will have to take and pay for the mill utensils, sacks, carts, harness and other things connected with the business, as per inventory to be produced at the sale.
Further particulars with conditions may be obtained at the offices of the Auctioneers, Methwold Hall, Brandon or of

John Houchen, jun.,
Thetford, Norfolk
Solicitor to the Vendor.

Lynn Advertiser - 4th & 11th August 1888

Sales by Edward Banham & Son
FELTWELL MILLS
On Monday October 1st

All the Horses, Harness, Trade Carts, Barley, Mangolds & outdoor effects of Mr. George Johnson, who has sold the estate.
Sale at 2 o'c
Catalogues in circulation.

Lynn Advertiser - 22nd September 1888


MICHAELMAS 1888 SALES by EDWARD BANHAM & SON
FELTWELL MILLS

Sales of all the HORSES & HARNESS, DONKEYS, Sows and 20 Pigs, 8 Miller’s Carts, Van, Luggage Cart and Car, Chaff cutting machinery, contents of the Carpenter’s Shop and Bake-office, Pigeons and about 100 head of Turkeys, Ducks and Fowls, Stack of Barley, Mangolds, Swedes, Carrots, Parsnips and Manure, the property of Mr. George Johnson, miller and baker, who has sold the Mills and is leaving England, which
EDWARD BANHAM & SON
are favoured with instructions to Sell by Auction on Monday, October 1, 1888 commencing at Two o’clock punctually.
See Catalogues in circulation.

Lynn Advertiser - 29th September 1888


The Mill House, FELTWELL
All the HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE ... & other Effects which Edward Banham & Son
Have received instructions from Mr. George Johnson, who is leaving England, to Sell by Auction on Tuesday April 16, 1889 commencing at 12 o'c.

Catalogues wiull be sent to any address on application to the Auctioneers, Methwold.
Lynn Advertiser - 6th April 1889


FOR SALE
STACK of Clover Hay; also stack of Border Land Hay; about 16 tons.
Apply to H. E. King, the Mills, Feltwell.

Lynn Advertiser - 18th April 1891


(Gale 24 March 1895)
Mr. H. E. King’s wind-mill, which was fitted with new sails only the summer before last, had the wind tackling carried away, causing the sails to swing round away from the wind, whereupon they were broken up almost immediately, the vanes being carried incredible distances. The force of the wind also shifted the cap and the top of the mill was soon a complete wreck.

Lynn Advertiser - 30th March 1895


(Gale 24 March 1895)
The loss sustained by Mr. H. E. King by the damage to his mill & premises has been estimated at £300.

Lynn Advertiser - 6th April 1895


At Feltwell during the cyclone on Sunday March 24, Mr. H. E. King's windmill, which was fitted with new sails only about a year since, had the wind tackle wrenched away, causing the sails to swing round away from the wind, whereupon they were broken up immediately. The cap of the structure was also removed, and the top presented a sad specatcle of ruin.
The Miller - 6th May 1895


After the gale of 24th March 1895, the mill was duly repaired only to be tail winded again in 1908. Again it was repaired but the same thing happened for the last time a few years later.


From the above, it would appear that at the time of the gale, Mr. King had only one mill, the tower mill and that it was this mill that lost its sails and had the cap shifted and the top wrecked.
As no mention is made of the other mill, it must be presumed that it was demolished or dismantled between 1888 and 1895.
Harry Apling


It has also been suggested that the mill was demolished by the RAF (RFC) during World War I, when the farm was used as an air base and before the mill was demolished it had been converted to a roller mill.


Feltwell tower mill 25Aug198
25th August 1981

The mill was derelict by 1981, when only around a quarter of the tower's circumference was left and its remains were joined to the corner of an L shaped derelict barn. The old brickwork was 22" thick and rose to 14 feet at its highest point.


The Heading family also owned Mill Drift smockmill.


White's 1836: John Richardson & Son, millwrights
White's 1845: John Richardson & Son, millwrights
White's 1854: John Richardson, millwright
White's 1864: John Richardson, millwright
Kelly's 1879: John Richardson, millwright


1860: Mill built by William Heading on land owned by his father Henry Heading snr

1860-1872: William and Henry Heading jnr

1860: Towermill built beside the postmill by William Heading on land owned by his father Henry Heading snr

Census 1861: Henry Heading jnr (36) miller
William Heading (34) miller (brother)

William Moore (25) journeyman miller
Edmund King (35) journeyman miller
Charles Cuthbert (40) journeyman miller

1859-c.1865: William and Henry Heading jnr

White's 1864: Henry jnr & William Heading, corn millers (Henry also farmer)

1865: Henry jnr & William Heading, corn millers (Henry also farmer)

1868: William Heading, miller

8th February 1872: Henry Heading snr died at the age of 79

September 1872: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with the postmill

1877: William Heading, miller

June 1877: Towermill and postmill advertised to bew sold by auction

1877: George Johnson, miller

1879: Walter Manning working at mill as employee

Kelly's 1879: George Johnson, miller & baker

c.1888: William Heading committed suicide

White's 1888: George Johnson, baker, miller & corn merchant

March 1888: Mill advertised for sale by private contract along with the postmill

August 1888: Mill advertised for sale by auction along with the postmill

September 1888: Business effects of George Johnson, miller, advertised for sale by auction due to emigration

Kelly's 1892: Horace Edmund King, baker & miller (wind)

1888-1895: Probable period during which the postmill was dismantled

Kelly's 1892: Horace Edmund King, baker & miller (wind)

Kelly's 1896: Horace Edmund King, baker & miller (wind)

c.1900: Auxiliary steam engine installed

Kelly's 1900: Horace Edmund King, baker & miller (wind) & steam

Kelly's 1904: Horace Edmund King, baker & miller (wind & steam) & farmer

1908: Mill tailwinded losing its sails and windshaft

1908: Steam engine replaced by a gas engine

Kelly's 1908: Horace Edmund King, baker, miller (gas engine), flour & corn merchant & farmer

Kelly's 1912: Horace Edmund King, baker, miller (gas engine), flour & corn merchant & farmer

1912: Gas engine used to drive a roller plant

Kelly's 1916: Horace Edmund King, baker, miller (gas engine)

Kelly's 1922: Harold King, miller (gas engine)

Kelly's 1925: Harold King, miller (gas engine)

1926: Reginald Hyam, miller

1927: Mill severely damaged by fire

1927: Mill derelict

1933: Mill tower remained along with cap, gallery, fantail stage and ring of stage bearers

1938: Mill dismantled as was considered a hazard to low flying aircraft at nearby RAF Feltwell

1949: Mill remains used as a store

1998: Mill site including the listed mill house and mill base sold



If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TL71808990
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005