Ellingham smockmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Ellingham smockmill used two pairs of stones and a flour mill; the sails were turned into the wind using a fantail. A bakehouse was also operated on the site.

To Millers
To be Sold by Auction By John Reynolds At the Bird in Hand in Ellingham, Norfolk, near Bungay On Tuesday July 7, 1807 at 5 o'c (Unless sooner disposed of by private contract of which due notice will be given)
A Capital & well situated SMOCK TOWER WIND-MILL in good repair with machine for keeping her into the wind, stones & going geers complete, also a brick Dwelling House & about half an acre of land more or less. The premises are all freehold & possession may be had immediately.
May be viewed & further particulars had on application to Mr. William Disney, Ellingham.

Norfolk Chronicle - 27th June 1807

To Millers
To be Sold by Private Contract
or otherwise disposed of for a term of years on conditions
All that Smock Tower WIND MILL winding herself with mill stones, flour mill, going gears etc., a convenient dwelling house & about half an acre of land adjoining, situate in the parish of Ellingham near Bungay & late in the occupation of Mr. W. Disney, the proprietor.
Inquire personally, if by letter post paid to Mr. Wiliam Brightly or Mr. Wm. Saunders both of Yarmouth, who are authorised to dispose.

Norfolk Chronicle - 28th August & 2nd September 1809

THE HURRICANE OF TUESDAY
The top of Mr. Smith's mill at ELLINGHAM fell off with a tremendous crash.

Norfolk News - 3rd March 1860

The Smith family also owned and ran Ditchingham towermill.

Harry Apling reported that the mill was only using steam power in 1883 and the mill continued as a steam mill until the latter half of the 1920s.

1807: William Disney, miller

June 1807: Mill advertised for sale by auction

June 1809: Mill advertised for sale by private contract

Bryant's map 1826: Windmill

Greenwood's map 1834: Windmill

White's 1836: Robert Smith, miller, grocer & draper

White's 1845: Robert Smith, millwright & c.

1846: Thomas Smith, miller

White's 1854: Robert Smith, corn miller

1860: Thomas Smith, miller

28th February 1860: Mill cap blown off in a gale

Kelly's 1879: Thomas Smith, miller; & at Bungay

White's 1883: Thomas Smith, miller & merchant and at Bungay

O.S.map 1884: Windmill

Kelly's 1892: Thos. Smith & Co. millers (steam) & coal & corn merchants; head office, Market place, Bungay

Kelly's 1896: Thos. Smith & Co. millers (steam) & coal & corn merchants; head office, Market place, Bungay

Kelly's 1900: Thos. Smith & Co. millers (steam) & coal & corn merchants; head office, Market place, Bungay

Kelly's 1904: Edwin Clark, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1908: Edwin Clark, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1912: Edwin Clark, miller (steam)

Kelly's 1916: Alice Clark (Mrs.) miller (steam)

Kelly's 1922: Alice Clark (Mrs.) miller (steam)

Kelly's 1925: Alice Clark (Mrs.) miller (steam)


If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM36979252
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007