East Dereham
Banyard's postmill

Contact

Drainage Windpumps
Steam Mills

Banyard's postmill stood in Banyard's Yard between Baxter's Row and Orchard Lane. Baxter's Row later became the High Street and Orchard Lane became Commercial Road.

1815 Enclosure map
1815 Enclosure map

Before the construction of Banyard's Place, off the High Street, East Dereham, the site was known as Banyard's Yard. In the early 19th century it led down to property in Orchard Lane, now Commercial Road, on which stood a windmill where John Banyard is given as miller and baker in the 1815 East Dereham Enclosure Claim. On the above map the mill is shown as a post mill on land on which the house 'Glendower' was later built.
Harry Apling - c.1982

1815 East Dereham Enclosure Claim: John Banyard, miller & baker

25th March 1829: John Banyard bought Yaxham postmill

White's 1836: Matthias & Charles Banyard, bakers & flour dealers, Baxter's Row

1842: John Banyard died

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TF99051304
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2005