Earsham postmill


Return to index of
Norfolk Windmills


Earsham postmill had a roundhouse and worked with two pairs of French burr stones. The mill was demolished some time before the railway came to the area as the new line crossed the approximate site of the mill.

EARSHAM Within one mile of Bungay
Mr. Baker
Is instructed to Sell by Auction at the Fleece Inn, Bungay on Thursday 27 April 1857 at 6 o'c in the Evening
All that capital & well built Freehold Post WINDMILL with substantial brick Round House, two pairs of French stones & all the fixtures, machinery & going gears; together with a stable, cowhouse, cart lodge & other requisite outbuildings, the whole occupying a site of about 60 rods, as the same was late in the occupation of Mr. George Pulford, deceased. Immediate possession may be had.
Further particulars may be obtained at the Auctioneer's office, Bungay.
Norfolk News - 11th & 18th April 1857

O.S. map 1838: Windmill

Census 1841:

George Pulfred, miller
Emily Pulfred
Jane Pulfred
James Pulfred
George Pulfred
Esther Pulfred
Redolphas Ruffle, agricultural labourer
Rebecca Wright


White's 1845: George Pulford, corn miller


Census 1851:

George Pulfred b. Ditchingham, miller employing 1 man
Emily Pulfred b.St. Cross, Suffolk
James Pulfred b.Homersfield, Suffolk
Amelia Pulfred b.Homersfield, Suffolk
George Pulfred b.Earsham
Aurkor Pulfred b.Earsham
Easter Pulfred b.Earsham
Emma Pulfreed b.Earsham
Mary Masterson b.Glover Bungay, Suffolk
Sarah Masterson


White's 1854: George Pulford, corn miller

28th July 1855: George Pulford, miller, died

April 1857: Mill advertised for sale by auction

If you have any memories, anecdotes or photos please let us know and we may be able to use them to update the site. By all means telephone 01263 713658 or

Nat Grid Ref TM324.894.
Top of Page

Copyright © Jonathan Neville 2007